What's new

Disabled connected standby, now sleep no longer an option.

Being that I never got sleep(w/connected standby) to work well with my old SP2 and SP4 (disabled it on both,which DOES turn off the sleep ability) I was surprised to see my new SP3 after being in the trunk of my car for about two days, when I turned it on, it still had 100% battery. And I didn't adjust any settings in this Surface yet. :)

update: Thinking about this, nothing is installed on the SP3 yet, and I did do all system updates previously. So it could be that CS didn't see any email/updates needed and possibly no wifi from the tunk and just never stayed active.

Last edited:

ptapang

To me, leeshor's recommendation of setting the hibernation time to 60 minutes (I have mine set up to go into hibernation after 30 minutes) is the best solution. I find CS to be not reliable as sometimes it works well while other times it will drain my battery more than an acceptable amount. The inconsistency is hard to deal with.
You guys know that hibernation is going to eventually kill your ssd especially running it after 30 minutes

leeshor

You guys know that hibernation is going to eventually kill your ssd especially running it after 30 minutes
In theory the additional reads/writes would prematurely age an SSD but in reality tests have shown that SSDs have a much longer read/write life than most manufactures estimate. I've been selling SSDs in my systems for a couple years now and even have some in servers and have yet to see one fail. The Surface would likely become obsolete before the drive fails.

ramiss

Writing to your SSD in general eventually kills SSDs, so should we not use our SPs?

Hibernation is no worse than simply using your drive normally. It's an old wives tale that writing to the same file on an SSD will shorten it's life. SSDs detect bad blocks over their life and relocate them automatically. Even when this happens, the above answer still holds true that the SP (and especially the battery) will die long before the drive.