What's new

Disappearing Icons in Metro OneNote

Chris944

The icons in my radial menu on Metro OneNote have started disappearing. It happened for the first time yesterday and is continuing today. I have applied all of the updates available and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Metro OneNote having run a disk clean up in between and deleting all of the OneNote cached files.

The icons usually appear when I first start OneNote, but stop appearing shortly afterwards. When it happens, the radial menu looks like this

upload_2014-9-27_16-24-29.png

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, does anyone know a fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

wynand32

I've not seen that specifically, but my radial menu has completely disappeared at times. For example, when I paste an image into a note, sometimes it's completely invisible except for a single option. The image is sometimes invisible as well.

That started after an update a few weeks ago, can't remember exactly when.

OP
C

Chris944

Have you applied the Firmware Updates?

If by 'firmware updates' you mean windows updates, then yes, I have downloaded all available updates. I suspect that the latest updates may well be the cause of the issue and am tempted to do a system restore to see if that helps. I have been using OneNote a lot and the problem has only appeared over the last couple of days.

It also seems likely that the issue is related to the latest updates because I can't find any reference to anybody else having had the issue.

While I don't wish the issue on anyone else; it would be reassuring to find that someone else has it too!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If by 'firmware updates' you mean windows updates, then yes, I have downloaded all available updates. I suspect that the latest updates may well be the cause of the issue and am tempted to do a system restore to see if that helps. I have been using OneNote a lot and the problem has only appeared over the last couple of days.

It also seems likely that the issue is related to the latest updates because I can't find any reference to anybody else having had the issue.

While I don't wish the issue on anyone else; it would be reassuring to find that someone else has it too!
Does this manifest itself in any other MUI Apps?

OP
C

Chris944

I don't think I've seen the radial menu in any other MUI Apps. I haven't noticed anything missing from any other apps, so I feel pretty certain it is just OneNote.

I think the icons are always there when I start it, but when they disappear varies a lot. They're rarely there if I switch to another app then come back to it, but sometimes they just drop out mid way through using OneNote too.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK...let's level set, when I say does this symptom manifest itself in other MUI Apps, what I'm referring to is other Screen Anomalies like Screen Tearing, UI Elements Disappearing, etc.

The Radial Menu screen grab above would fall under screen tearing...