What's new

Disappearing Taskbar

dan_fein

I have an SP3 i7 512 with a docking station that connects to an external monitor through mDP to DVI cable. When I dock the machine, the taskbar is replicated on the monitor, although not the right hand section that has the clock and notifications. When I remove the machine, then put it back, the partial taskbar on the monitor reappears but the full taskbar on the SP3 is gone. Even after I remove it again, the taskbar stays gone.

The only way I've found to get it back is to reboot. Has anyone else run into this and (hopefully) found a solution?

Thanks.

Jacob Fisher

Just had the same thing happen. Initially, I was docked and the taskbar was replicated on the external monitor but without the clock and other icons in the notifications area. Then when I undocked, the entire taskbar disappeared from my Surface screen.

This is how I got it back.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and called up the Task Manager. I found Windows Explorer under Apps, right clicked and chose Restart. Windows Explorer restarted and the full taskbar was restored, including notifications in the right corner.

NextG3n

Just had the same thing happen. Initially, I was docked and the taskbar was replicated on the external monitor but without the clock and other icons in the notifications area. Then when I undocked, the entire taskbar disappeared from my Surface screen.

This is how I got it back.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and called up the Task Manager. I found Windows Explorer under Apps, right clicked and chose Restart. Windows Explorer restarted and the full taskbar was restored, including notifications in the right corner.

Same issue any update that does not require reboot or restart of Windows explorer

ZorMi

When my taskbar escapes to other monitor, I temporary switch primary monitor in display settings to return.

llii

Thanks to Jacob for a fix that works for me too.

This is still a problem for my (brand new, fully updated) surface book as of March 30th, 2016. In my case when I close the SB, then re-open it, I can get back to the external monitor, but on either the SB or external monitor the taskbar is missing. Actually, it appears to be lost off the bottom; using the "windows" key or ctrl-Esc brings up a start menu that's a bit cut off at the bottom too, and if I go to control panel and adjust the taskbar to show from the right or left it's back... but both the top and bottom are lost. Restarting Windows Explorer solves it, but microsoft should fix this.[/QUOTE]