What's new

Disconnecting wireless in sleep state.

Surfacemike

Hi all,

does anyone know how to make the Surface disconnect from a personal hotspot connection when putting the surface3 into sleep?

I use my iPhone(6) to run a personal hotspot, but when closing the type cover putting the Surface3 into sleep state, the personal hotspot isn't disconnecting.

thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is by design, the machines doesn't enter Sleep, it enters Connected Standby which stays connected. Have you designated the Hotspot as a metered connection? If you do that it will use much less bandwidth.

netuser

That is by design, the machines doesn't enter Sleep, it enters Connected Standby which stays connected. Have you designated the Hotspot as a metered connection? If you do that it will use much less bandwidth.
Isn't it only supposed to stay in Connected Standby for a couple of hours and then switch to sleep?

eljoe

I believe i read that after four hours of Connected Standby (sleep with connection) it goes to hibernate. But not sure if i get it right.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is configured the same as the SP3::

0-4 hours - Connected Standby
4-12 hours - Lite hibernation
12+ Traditional Hibernation

OP
S

Surfacemike

ok thanks

Would be great if we could have a feature/function that could identify a connection when it is tethered to a mobile ph and automatically disconnect when putting the surface into sleep.
Given we don't yet have the LTE model yet - tethering is only mobile option (for me) Its not the data consumption that's the problem for me - its the battery drain on the ph.

This aside, hands down the surface is a better business tool than the iPad