What's new

discuss todays updates?

beman39

ok so there was a lot of updates and I thought that the updates might have fixed my wifi issues of slow speeds, at first I got a decent speeds which is what they SHOULD be at, and then I started having trouble with flash not working so I had to reboot my Surface and redid the speed test and it went down again to where it was prior the update which is slow....

gqye.png

then slows down
9rfd.png

so what is your reports about the updates?

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

You might wanna blank off your IP address from being shown on the web there.

Did this update come up yesterday? I've not tried it yet... I find my Wi-Fi can vary from one minute to the next anyway. I'm looking for it to be more 'solid' than anything else! I'll report back once I've tried it though.

kristalsoldier

As I posted elsewhere, after the most recent updates I can confirm that at least the battery updates have really worked on.my Surface 2. In 8 hours - with about a total of 1 hour usage involving surfing with 2 tabs open all the time and the Mail app open - the battery reading is at 89%, which is a lot more than what it was or used to be. Can't comment on the Wifi speeds though I can say that I can't any issues while surfing.

gleth

One thing they do seem to have fixed is the metro mail app being a pain to close. It seems to be closing as easily as all the other apps now on my Surface 1.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was having issues after the update with throughput, but I also noticed a new firmware for my Router, applied it and rebooted and everything is back to the way it was before.

Arizona Willie

So speed tests aren't valid if you do them via your wireless network?
Since that is the way many / most of us actually USE the computers wouldn't it be a more valid / realistic test to do it while using the wi-fi and router like we normally do?

OP
beman39

beman39

So speed tests aren't valid if you do them via your wireless network?
Since that is the way many / most of us actually USE the computers wouldn't it be a more valid / realistic test to do it while using the wi-fi and router like we normally do?

that's what I would think, I never connect my Surface via cable so why would I test it like that? no I would like to see how my wifi is performing on my Surface which is not that great really when compared to my laptop I get 58 mbps which realistically I should get the same on my Surface... like in my first pic and then once everything is loaded something is interfering with the wifi adapter (I suspect) and the results are poor speeds.

D1vad

that's what I would think, I never connect my Surface via cable so why would I test it like that? no I would like to see how my wifi is performing on my Surface which is not that great really when compared to my laptop I get 58 mbps which realistically I should get the same on my Surface... like in my first pic and then once everything is loaded something is interfering with the wifi adapter (I suspect) and the results are poor speeds.

Okay I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest you are wrong it's not actually your Wi-Fi but rather your USB timing that is creating the issue. Look back at your
original post and look at your download speeds. I'd suggest that if it was truly a Wi-Fi issue, then both would show it. If I'm correct then you should be looking at a USB driver patch/fix. I'm thinking there is a USB timing issue. If I'm right if should also most likely be effecting anything else hanging off that bus as well, like disk drives or thumb drives. Care to run a speed test on your drives, and look at large data transfers?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to remember about all of the online Speed tests, it isn't testing your machine's speed per say as the test is actually running on your Router/Modem. If you want to test your WiFi throughput it is better to test a large file copy across the internal network.

Arizona Willie

Two different things. Since we are trying to test online speeds, internal transfers are totally different. Online speed gets affected by many things from settings in our computers to how busy the Internet is and even the weather. But internal transfer < should > be the same all the time and only affected by the capability of the equipment and cables and settings in the computer. Outside factors would not, likely, affect internal transfers at all.

One thing to remember about all of the online Speed tests, it isn't testing your machine's speed per say as the test is actually running on your Router/Modem. If you want to test your WiFi throughput it is better to test a large file copy across the internal network.

Arizona Willie

This morning I am actually getting faster online speed test results from my Surface than I am this desktop!!
The desktop is plugged into the modem but the Surface is running wireless.
I think some of the new drivers in Windows 8 downloads may have messed up the network adapter in the desktop and caused it to be slowwwww.
I've been trying to check into my router but the control software ( Cisco Connect ) does not work in Windows 8 and I can't get in directly because it is rejecting my passwords that I have written down. Something is certainly not right somewhere with my desktop though when the Surface gets faster results.

OP
beman39

beman39

Okay I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest you are wrong it's not actually your Wi-Fi but rather your USB timing that is creating the issue. Look back at your
original post and look at your download speeds. I'd suggest that if it was truly a Wi-Fi issue, then both would show it. If I'm correct then you should be looking at a USB driver patch/fix. I'm thinking there is a USB timing issue. If I'm right if should also most likely be effecting anything else hanging off that bus as well, like disk drives or thumb drives. Care to run a speed test on your drives, and look at large data transfers?

err what does my USB timing have to do with my speeds? I'm not using a USB wifi but my internal wifi card... as you can see there is 2 different speeds when something obviously kicked in and is interfering with the wifi card...