What's new

disk cleanup and system update 1\15\2015...just keeps getting knocked off!

redbrick

For some reason, whenever I run the disk cleanup from the control panel, I keep getting an update notice to reinstall the 1\15\2015 system update again. I've searched and cannot find what's in this one particular update that keeps getting knocked off by the disk cleanup app. I was able to find that it involves ...Surface Pro UEFI update (v2.05.0150)...but that so general...

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here, or experienced the same? If so, what was you solution to maintain the update?

Thanks in advance...

leeshor

If it was properly, fully installed, a disk cleanup shouldn't make a difference. Can't tell you why it is on your system but I feel someone may have an answer

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK seems like maybe disk cleanup is removing something it shouldn't be removing. Perhaps an updated driver cab file. Try excluding this from disk cleanup.

clemgrad85

I have to keep installing that particular Jan 2015 update as well. When we had the rather large number of updates recently, there it was again, saying it needed to be installed. I've installed it probably 5 times now. And yes, I attach the keyboard to my SP2 each time I do these updates. I stopped asking why this be long time ago and just keep installing it. Go figure.

OP
R

redbrick

Okay, so I'm not alone and/or going crazy...

I'll keep searching....and report back on what. I find.
(maybe its a backdoor patch...to keep it open )

OP
R

redbrick

IDK seems like maybe disk cleanup is removing something it shouldn't be removing. Perhaps an updated driver cab file. Try excluding this from disk cleanup.

How does one go about finding this 'cab' file? It's been a while since I've messed with cab files... thxs.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does one go about finding this 'cab' file? It's been a while since I've messed with cab files... thxs.
I think it would just be one less option checked in Disk cleanup. Can you post the options you have checked when it runs? Or screen shots? I'm assuming your doing System Files and Windows Update Cleanup but it would be better to work from actual not assumed parameters.

OP
R

redbrick

I think it would just be one less option checked in Disk cleanup. Can you post the options you have checked when it runs? Or screen shots? I'm assuming your doing System Files and Windows Update Cleanup but it would be better to work from actual not assumed parameters.
I check every option...trying to keep it lean and mean...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I check every option...trying to keep it lean and mean...
I just sounds like cleanup is getting a little too mean. You might try not using the Windows Update cleanup for a while or just keep reinstalling what it's removing until they get around to fixing it.

OP
R

redbrick

I just sounds like cleanup is getting a little too mean. You might try not using the Windows Update cleanup for a while or just keep reinstalling what it's removing until they get around to fixing it.

Urgh...yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too...was just hoping someone found or had a better solution. Thanks.