What's new

Disk Cleanup Disapeared from Start Screen & Search

borka105

As my thread title states, my disk cleanup has disappeared from my Live Tile Start Screen and also from the Search.

If I search for Disk Cleanup nothing comes up. Anyway to get it back and pin it back to my start screen. Also, anyone know what may have caused this to happen?

Thanks

ArnoldC

Disk cleanup was never on the Start screen, also it is not searchable as Disk cleanup. From Start, type cleanmgr.

From File Explorer, touch and hold "Windows (C:)", select Properties, Disk Cleanup.

If you want to run it from the command line, type cleanmgr

HTH

bosamar

Try Start Screen > Charms Bar > Settings > Tiles > Show Administrative Tools (YES). Then check the far right of your Start Screen and look under Admin Tools to see if it reappeared with the other tools.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Or you know, just do it the old fashioned way and go to file explorer in Desktop right click on the drive and select properties...

OP
B

borka105

I like having the actual icon in the metro UI Start screen.

I was able to get it back. I had to unpin all the remaining Admin Tools on the Start Screen. The go into Settings, Tools and turn the slider to not display Admin Tools. Then I was able to Search for "Disk Cleanup" in the Search bar and it showed up. I then proceeded to add the other Icons by going back into Settings, Tiles and turning it back to displaying the remaining admin tiles.

Other combinations would not work because it wouldn't show up under when I searched for it. To your guys' earlier points, I was able to display it in the Desktop UI and pin it there, but wanted to add it back to the Metro Start screen.

kwangso123

I like having the actual icon in the metro UI Start screen.

I was able to get it back. I had to unpin all the remaining Admin Tools on the Start Screen. The go into Settings, Tools and turn the slider to not display Admin Tools. Then I was able to Search for "cleanup disks for free" in the Search bar and it showed up. I then proceeded to add the other Icons by going back into Settings, Tiles and turning it back to displaying the remaining admin tiles.

Other combinations would not work because it wouldn't show up under when I searched for it. To your guys' earlier points, I was able to display it in the Desktop UI and pin it there, but wanted to add it back to the Metro Start screen.

Yes...it's unfortunate that performing disk cleanup is not as easy in Windows RT