What's new

disk cleanup takes long time and SP3 getting hot!

stsalkit

I run disk cleanup on my relatively new (2 weeks old) SP3. I selected the files I wanted deleted (nothing big), and pressed enter. Despite the fact that the files to be deleted were of small size in total, cleanup took about 5-7 minutes to complete, and the fan started since the back of my SP3 got very hot (obviously high disk activity). Is this normal?

leeshor

I wouldn't call it abnormal at all. There may very well have been something else going on at the same time.

Grumpy2

When I run disk clean up after it has finished I click on OK and the program deletes the files selected very quickly. However if I instead click on clean up system files it does another scan. If when it has finished I click on OK it takes ages (15 minutes or more) to clean up the files and the fan goes crazy.
But it has never bothered me. I do not worry about my device like some people. I just use the device and let it do what it has to do. I would suggest you are worrying about nothing. Have had my SP3 since Sept 2014 and have had nothing of consequence to worry about. A great device which could be better if Microsoft employees would get their act together and write software that works. You do not see Apple putting out updates like Microsoft do.
Last month I had around 28 updates and the month before that over 40 updates. Absolutely ridiculous. I really think the people at Microsoft need to lift there game.

leeshor

CCleaner is great but it misses a lot of file, (GBs), that I end up having to manually delete.

leeshor

No, not in my experience. If you aren't displaying hidden files both methods skip the appdata\temp folder or at least most of it. If you are showing those files they still may need to be manually removed.