What's new

Display Driver Crashing

LuvmySurface

First and foremost. I love my surface Pro 4 (I5, 8gb). I am have a lot of problems with the display driver crashing. I will just be browsing on internet explorer and the display diver will just randomly crash. I have had it happen on chrome too. I am just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Also does anyone have any idea's on a fix? I am an insurance agent and I am often on the phone with clients so I cant have this happen while I am writing an insurance policy. It seems to relaunch it pretty quickly but it still is not something I want to deal with on a regular basis. As a matter of fact it crashed twice in the time it took me to write this. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you!

Thanks for the tip. It really doesn't want to install this driver. However, it seems to be working just fine. So far so good.

Pay attention to where it's happening. I also have had it happen multiple times--but it's always when I'm using Edge browser ON THIS FORUM. The fact that you had it crash twice while typing here on this forum confirms my suspicion that there's something about the code for this forum that is not playing nice with it. I have only ever had it crash here, at surfaceforums.net.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pay attention to where it's happening. I also have had it happen multiple times--but it's always when I'm using Edge browser ON THIS FORUM. The fact that you had it crash twice while typing here on this forum confirms my suspicion that there's something about the code for this forum that is not playing nice with it. I have only ever had it crash here, at surfaceforums.net.
I quit using Edge two days ago, Strictly IE with AD blocking enabled via the Tracking Protection add-ins.
It happens at other times as well, not just on this site, but I spend a lot of time here so naturally the odds are stacked.
ADs are murder on Edge, completely unusable to me.

jtuck82

I tried edge just to see what it was like and the ads were overwhelming. I had the display driver crash once while using edge. I switched to firefox and haven't had any crashes since launch day. I am getting pretty good battery life too with my SP4 i5/8/256. Roughly 6:30 hours according to battery report.

robertnd2

I have had this happen as well. It quickly resets itself so it hasn't been overly annoying yet.

On an unrelated note, I also sometimes hear a "clicking sound" when hitting the back arrow in EDGE.

I think there are a few issues with the Intel Graphics that hopefully will be cleared up.

TheCudder

It's crashed for me on multiple sites, so it certainly isn't just this site.

TheCudder

I've forced the update of the Intel HD 520 drivers and I can report that the driver still crashes and I occasionally lose the touch screen capability. The one issue that it DID fix was the changing color temperature/tint issue.

DocACE911

This is crazy. I am getting crashes in IE and EDGE.

Did microsoft test this? SP4 is going back. This is my second m3.

Really sad. They are destroying the brand quality.