What's new

Display Driver Crashing

leeshor

Wow I thought Edge was supposed to be a Store app... I guess not or maybe it changed along the way. You are right though, I do t see any way to remove it, but I can't remove some of the other apps either. A lot of stuff is getting pushed via the Store... seemingly without options.
Some apps can be uninstalled using Powershell. (I have a post with that command) Some can be uninstalled simply by right clicking on them in the start menu and clicking uninstall, but they seem to come back doing it that way. Using the Poweshell command seems more permanent. BUT I don't think that will work with Edge.

TheCudder

I've requested to return my Surface Pro 4. The device is more of a hassle than anything right now. I spend more time doing hard shut downs than using the device.

• Frequent display driver crashes --- screen either goes blank or displays half black, half white noise.
  • Touch screen occasion fails.
  • Fails to wake from sleep.
  • Every so often the fan speed increases and heats up when I'm only browsing the web in Edge.
I've done a soft reset, full system reset, deferring upgrades, allowing upgrades and using Firefox --- still buggy, plus Edge provides a much better touch experience.

I'm a huge Microsoft fan, even a share owner, but I can't settle for this. Going back to my RT and I'll consider the SP4 again in a few months.

Knuck

I have not had a crash or display issues since the recent major update to Windows 10. I suspect the drivers have finally been updated properly.

mtalinm

I switched back from Edge to good ol' IE and life is much better now.

Edge would fire up the cpu to 90% when just 4 or 5 of the "wrong" tabs were opened. makes Chrome look like it's on a hunger strike

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the HOST File method of Ad Blocking with a slight change to the Registry and now Edge works very fast with no Display Crashes on HTML5 Video Ads (like this site).

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip

Once you download that file, extract it anywhere and go into the folder and run mvps.bat as administrator. This will install the hosts file mod and now all known ads and malicious sites will be blocked from your PC. However, there is another step to ensure smooth performance with DNS resolution, as large HOSTS files tend to cause issues with the default settings.

To apply this tweak you need to do the following:

1. Open Regedit
  2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DnsCache\Parameters
  3. Create a new DWORD “MaxCacheTtl” and set the value to 1
  4. Create a new DWORD “MaxNegativeCacheTtl” and set the value to 0
  5. Reboot your PC
Once you have done the above, you will have an effective ad blocking solution that will work across your entire system (including Microsoft’s new browser), and with the added tweak there will not be any performance hit in your browsing experience. Without the added tweak you would notice site loading delays, especially with sites like Hulu etc…

Source: http://www.chris123nt.com/2015/05/05/blocking-ads-with-microsoft-edge-project-spartan/

leeshor

Added to the master help list. I have suspected that my ad blocker in Firefox is why I don't see the problems other are seeing. This ads to my suspicions.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using the HOST File method of Ad Blocking with a slight change to the Registry and now Edge works very fast with no Display Crashes on HTML5 Video Ads (like this site).

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip

Once you download that file, extract it anywhere and go into the folder and run mvps.bat as administrator. This will install the hosts file mod and now all known ads and malicious sites will be blocked from your PC. However, there is another step to ensure smooth performance with DNS resolution, as large HOSTS files tend to cause issues with the default settings.

To apply this tweak you need to do the following:

1. Open Regedit
  2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DnsCache\Parameters
  3. Create a new DWORD “MaxCacheTtl” and set the value to 1
  4. Create a new DWORD “MaxNegativeCacheTtl” and set the value to 0
  5. Reboot your PC
Once you have done the above, you will have an effective ad blocking solution that will work across your entire system (including Microsoft’s new browser), and with the added tweak there will not be any performance hit in your browsing experience. Without the added tweak you would notice site loading delays, especially with sites like Hulu etc…

Source: http://www.chris123nt.com/2015/05/05/blocking-ads-with-microsoft-edge-project-spartan/
The only disadvantage I have encountered with the Hosts file solution is if you need to unblock some content on a site it can be a lot more difficult to do, where a proper Ad blocker has a control to easily enable these exceptions. Otherwise, I think the Hosts file solution is even more effective than Ad blockers. There's an opportunity for someone. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The only disadvantage I have encountered with the Hosts file solution is if you need to unblock some content on a site it can be a lot more difficult to do, where a proper Ad blocker has a control to easily enable these exceptions. Otherwise, I think the Hosts file solution is even more effective than Ad blockers. There's an opportunity for someone. :)
I only used it as it appears Hardware Acceleration is borked on these drivers.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is any consolation, since plugging the new dock into my sp3 I am getting display driver crashes with just Word open.

bsnguy

I have not had a crash or display issues since the recent major update to Windows 10. I suspect the drivers have finally been updated properly.

The display driver version/date installed has not changed after the 1511 update. Could be there are fixes, elsewhere, but if the driver is the issue, it's not been updated.