What's new

Display Driver Crashing

I'll be damned. My Lenovo laptop (W541 i7-4810MQ/32GB) just got that damn display driver error, while writing an email in Outlook!! igdkmd64.sys. That's the first time it's happened in the 7 months I've had it. This would be for the Intel HD 4600 adapter. It also has a dedicated Nvidia adapter.

So, obviously, it's a problem with the November update ... :)

nuttyone

So, although I don't get it too often, the odd website does cause the display driver to crash (I am using IE instead of Edge for 90% of my browsing). I have installed all latest updates and using SP4/256GB/8GB.

Today I noticed the error which appeared (see attached) noted the display driver for "Windows 8(r)"...!!! I didn't notice this before, but surely this isn't right?

Attachments

• Display1.jpg
    Display1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 490

jbowden

Just as an FYI - I just picked up a new i7 and spent a couple hours loading updates, etc. So far, I have not been able to reproduce the display driver crash. I was able to reproduce it at will on the i5 but cannot on my new unit. I am really hoping this annoying bug has been put to bed.

bsnguy

Just as an FYI - I just picked up a new i7 and spent a couple hours loading updates, etc. So far, I have not been able to reproduce the display driver crash. I was able to reproduce it at will on the i5 but cannot on my new unit. I am really hoping this annoying bug has been put to bed.

It has not been on my i5 system with all of the latest updates. It does act a bit differently, now, but I still get the "display driver has crashed" bubble from time to time (only once, so far, today).

EMINENT

Got a DD crash just now on the latest update.

Whatever they pushed hasn't fixed the most common issues.

Black screen, DD crash, poor battery.

Looks like another wait till the next update that doesn't fix anything.

leeshor

I have had 2 faults in the reliability report. One on the first day and another not related to the video driver that I would not have even known about if I hadn't seen it in the report.

toaf

if it helps track it down, my SP2 has been crashing while gaming often also. it says "blabla bla your game.exe had a fault bla bla bla". all month longs its been acting oddly. i will look at the history but it almost has to be a win 10 issue. ive been playing on it the same way every night since it came out. there is no way its all of our faluts

leeshor

You may also want to check the event logs and take a close look at task manager, CPU and disk usage.

OP
L

LuvmySurface

It seems like all of my display driver issues have been fixed with the updates. Went from crashing several times in an hour to nothing. I have not had one display driver crash in the past 5 days with heavy use. I was worried because I spent so much on it but now I am soooo happy. I could not be happier. This is truly an amazing device (I5, 8gb 250). Thank you so much for fixing Microsoft! I hope that all those that returned the device will give it another try. I almost returned mine too but decided to wait it out and I am so happy I did. This is exactly what I wanted the SP4 to be. Also, thank you all for the replies to this post.