What's new

Display Driver Crashing

fishmd

It seems like all of my display driver issues have been fixed with the updates. Went from crashing several times in an hour to nothing. I have not had one display driver crash in the past 5 days with heavy use. I was worried because I spent so much on it but now I am soooo happy. I could not be happier. This is truly an amazing device (I5, 8gb 250). Thank you so much for fixing Microsoft! I hope that all those that returned the device will give it another try. I almost returned mine too but decided to wait it out and I am so happy I did. This is exactly what I wanted the SP4 to be. Also, thank you all for the replies to this post.

Haha. Give it a little time mate. It will do it again. Mine worked great for about a week after the last update, then I started to have the DD crashes again. In fact, I just had one on this page. Lol. Sigh.

I switched to Chrome and have yet to see the crash on the SP4, but I'm sure it will come. My Lenovo W541 laptop now, after the Threshold 2 update, gets them everyday. I can't avoid them!!

robertcan

I still receive the DD crash message. Browser freezes then reloads and I get the DD message. More of a minor inconvenience now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Blocking the ads on this site prevents 99% of the Display Driver Crashes on this and most site...

I switched to Chrome and have yet to see the crash on the SP4, but I'm sure it will come. My Lenovo W541 laptop now, after the Threshold 2 update, gets them everyday. I can't avoid them!!
I doubt you will. I experienced the crash on both my Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4 with Edge browser....but neither device ever had it while using Chrome. That's why I don't understand people getting so frustrated about this, to the point of returning an otherwise excellent device....It's so easy to avoid it by using a different browser.

Jimmie007

Checking in. I also have the display driver crash and resets situation and it does not matter what you are doing.
It comes and goes. Maybe a temperature related hardware race problem. As much as I like the Surface, I would
be a bit embarrassed for others to see a blue screen (had those too) and various freezes and what not going on here.
I am a die hard Microsoft guy, but you definitely have to be tolerant of some screw-ups. One reason I got Surface 2,
then 3, and now 4 is a now unlikely hope that at least they would do better with their own hardware. No, hardware
and software are on two different planets - I should have known that being a retired engineer and executive - like duh.

Sylvainp

I've not had a display driver crash today but I have not touched Edge or the mail or the calendar app all day long. Also Iv'e got better battery life today. Is it the update or not touching the provided apps ??? who knows.

saidgta

After last vga driver update, i really didn't see any Display Crashing...
After 10 days of using the new driver we can say:
The Problem Has Been SOLVED!

Last edited:

macmee

ad blocking stopped most crashes for me, but got one the other day. Then I did the firmware update. No crashes yet but I'm not holding my breathe.

Nspyr

Just got the i7 16gb ram model 2 days ago. Only had 1 graphics driver crash. The i5 (which I returned) got it all the time. However, I have been getting the BSOD (5 times since I got the SP4).

saidgta

Just got the i7 16gb ram model 2 days ago. Only had 1 graphics driver crash. The i5 (which I returned) got it all the time. However, I have been getting the BSOD (5 times since I got the SP4).
After last vga driver update, graphic driver crash solved for me.
But i have BSOD, one time per day...