What's new

Display Driver Crashing

Rallicat

Hi

Just took a look at the reliability history on my Surface 2 and found the display driver is crashing very frequently!

I have not really seen any visible symptoms of this other than games occasionally crash, but given the timestamp of some of the driver crashes it also looks like it's happening at times when the device should be asleep!

Anyone else see this in their reliability history on Surface 2?

For reference I previously had a Surface RT and did choose the option to import my settings from that when I set up my new Surface.

--
Mark
Surface 2 64GB

CpCrunch

My display driver is also crashing very frequently. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm new to this forum and was wondering if you can tell me how to set it up so that I receive an email when someone replies to me on here?

beman39

subscribe to this thread and you should get email notifications, or in your control panel there should be a setting to subscribe to posts automatically when posting in thread or something like that...

CpCrunch

Could you guys post the exact error here?

My display driver just crashed again. This time it was hooked up to an external monitor and the display driver stopped responding when I tried to bring it out of sleep. Then it recovered. Below is the information provided in the reliability history. Any thoughts?

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: 85dff008
Parameter 2: 8e88c07d
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 6_3_9600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.97
Locale ID: 1033

ctitanic

So far what I have found in common in all these errors is that they happen when the device is in Standby mode waking up due to an event, like a notification, alarm, or like in your case.

CpCrunch

So far what I have found in common in all these errors is that they happen when the device is in Standby mode waking up due to an event, like a notification, alarm, or like in your case.

Do you think it's just buggy software because it's new or do you think it's a hardware defect?

Last edited:

ctitanic

Do you think it's just buggy software because it's new or do you think it's a hardware defect?

That's the million dollars question. In either case they will fix it and you have a warranty period during which they have to replace the unit. So let's hope that's a Software issue.

ctitanic

No display driver crashes here.

Well, the right thing to say is that I didn't noticed them but I found a bunch of them in event viewer!

I'm testing a registry change that claims to fix these errors.

Screenshot (14).png

It's the TdrDelay key shown in the above screenshot.

If anyone want to test it and I can say that at least it doesn't break anything. I have it for around 2 hours, I have restarted the S2 and nothing wrong has happened.

CpCrunch

Well, the right thing to say is that I didn't noticed them but I found a bunch of them in event viewer!

I'm testing a registry change that claims to fix these errors.

It's the TdrDelay key shown in the above screenshot.

If anyone want to test it and I can say that at least it doesn't break anything. I have it for around 2 hours, I have restarted the S2 and nothing wrong has happened.

I'd be willing to give it a try. I'm not sure I understand the instructions though. What do I do with TdrDelay?