What's new

Display Driver Errors driving me crazy..!!!

mkenny28

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the devices with the dGPU? I have the $1500 base model and haven't had a single display driver issue.

Well I have the dGPU with no Intel driver issues

I also have the I7/512GB/16GB dGPU. The fast ring insider preview build resolved it. Actually, the problem is with the Intel 520 drivers as well as the camera driver. Perhaps when it installed the latest build it resolved it. I know that some have wiped them clean and reinstalled fresh and downloaded the surface book driver package from Microsoft and are not having any issues.

Yeah maybe. I am not in the Technical Preview so just on the Public Build and didn't have to do a clean install. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones... thankfully. I had to deal with Intel Driver crashes on my Yoga 2 Pro for 6 months until a fix which then made the screen flash every so often while unplugged. Always seems to happen with Intel drivers customized by manufacturer.

cmatvchuk

I have another update on the issues with the Surface Book. One of my friends and I did the following to his I7/512GB/16GB dGPU. No issues so far. Had intel driver issue and edge issue before. Basically full wipe and reinstall.

1) Made a copy of >Program Files > Drivers Folder (This has the NVidia Drivers you need.).
2) Download the surface book driver package from Microsoft.
3) Made FAT32 8gb USB stick, bootable active primary partition.
4) Downloaded ISO of Windows 10 (Build 10240 - This is release version) Enterprise.
5) Started Surface Book and Booted from USB.
6) Deleted all partitions.
7) Created New Partions (we did 2 splitting the 512gb 200/300) for OS and then data respectively. Makes it easier in future to just reinstall OS on C if necessary.
8) Once done installing windows, we added MS Account.
9) Moved MS Account folders to D: Drive
10) Installed Surface Book Drivers.
11) Installed NVidia Drivers copied from step 1 above.
12) Ran Windows Update through current several times.

We have been benching Surface Book now for 4 hours under load and not one issue so far. I will keep everyone posted.

gootdude

The intel driver issue is exactly that, a driver issue and is only properly resolved once the updated drivers are released and installed. All these "workarounds" that don't involve updating drivers are nonsense, and are not actually changing anything.

I was randomly getting driver crashes when launching my slingbox with youtube running, but all of those issues have stopped now that I'm running the latest intel drivers.

If you want to update the drivers manually do the following:

Download win64_154010.4300.zip from Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40] and extract.

Manually select the intel 520 in device manager and Update Driver -> Browse My Computer -> Let me pick from a list -> Choose Have Disk -> Browse to win64_154010.4300\Graphics\igdlh64.inf -> Hit OK, now hit Next, and it will force install this driver.

Now running version 20.19.15.4300 and haven't had any intel driver crashes since.

Last edited:

cmatvchuk

@gootdude

Excellent Idea, but what we were showing with that driver you are using, released in late August is that the power consumption is almost 30% more so your battery will not last as long. That driver is not tuned for low power consumption. Additionally with that specific driver and running Visual Studio 2015 and edge browser also crashes. We have still not had any issues now on 4 Surface books, with a format and complete reload. You also elude to not "Changing" anything. That is not entirely correct. When systems are built en masse, they are loaded from images. If there is a problem with the image or in the sequential order that they created the images (if you were in the industry or exposed to this you would know) problems would and could manifest themselves>. This also occurred with one of the ASUS laptop launches. It is unfortunate that a system that costs so much has issues.
By wiping the machine and reinstalling everything you can resolve the issue, at least in this case that is what we are seeing. I would not recommend going to the previous driver signature you recommend, but it is your choice. Also. When you run windows update it will try to update that driver so you will have to keep reverting back to it.

gootdude

The driver I listed is NEWER than anything microsoft has shipped to you, unless you're running the insider builds.

I am running Visual Studio 2015 AND Edge no problem with this driver.

I agree with the optimizations for battery life from the manufacturer driver set, but I'd much rather have a stable running machine for now than crashes and more battery life.

cmatvchuk

Ah I see, you made an error in your post, you linked 4279 but expected someone to use .4300 perhaps you should correct the link. .4300 is slightly newer than the one packaged with Surface Book Drivers. That being said, we are on our 16th Surface Book and have deployed 10 to my developers already under the process I illustrated above without going to the .4300. Its good to know that the .4300 is available (again, correct your link to the appropriate driver for others), if anything creeps up on us, but as of yet everything seems good to go and I am pleased. Additionally with respect to insider builds, I have one running the fast ring. I will keep that one set to it. All other machines are running RTM 10240.

**Note: I am not sure how to feel about the slight wobble in the screen, perhaps I am just being to picky.

Also I have 30 more to go sitting staring at me and my system admins. I feel fortunate that I didn't have to RMA/CMR all of theses units. It would of sucked bad. I will update if we find anything else.

One final note, on the original stock setup, you will be unable to resize the drive or split it, at least we haven't found a way. The only way we could partition it was to wipe it and then create our partitions.

Last edited:

gootdude

Oops, googled for the page too quickly. Thanks for pointing out the right link, updated post.

I think the wobbles are something we'll have to accept at these light weights. I've got a similar wobble on my 13 inch macbook air depending on the surface I'm typing on and how hard I press the keys. Granted, the Surface Book isn't as rigid, so I think it can be improved, but I'm not sure how they can make the entire base more stable without making it larger/heavier.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I installed the Intel driver from post #15 and I can confirm that the Intel driver mentioned above does NOT eliminate driver crashes. I cannot confirm that there was a reduction in driver crashes, seemed about the same.

gootdude

Dang, are you able to reproduce the crash consistently? Please post the steps to reproduce.

Also, can you check the Event Viewer, and post the details from the System error log?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang, are you able to reproduce the crash consistently? Please post the steps to reproduce.

Also, can you check the Event Viewer, and post the details from the System error log?
Steps to reproduce, browse this forum.
There's no specific action I am aware of or time frame, it may fail 3 times in an hour or once in 3 hours.
I get the same Notification, Driver bla bla recovered

Event
Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 11/1/2015 6:38:07 AM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-xxxxxxxxx
Description:
Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you with dGPU devices I would refrain from updating the Intel Drivers as they are modified to work in conjunction with the NVIDIA GPU....