What's new

display driver problem, keeps recovering

kundas1

hello, I just bought the Surface 2 a week ago and I am having trouble with my tablet already, it keeps telling me my display driver has stopped responding and has recovered, and this will happen 20 times a row. I have done all updates so I don't know what the problem could be but it still functions perfectly. I'm wondering if I should return it to the store where I purchased it as this issue might be a hardware problem...what do you guys think? will a future update fix this, or is it an impending hardware disaster looming in the future? I searched google (which led me to this forum) for 2 days trying to find if anyone else is having the same trouble as I was, as I am thinking this just might be a bad driver update or something, But I didn't find anything.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 2 uses an NVIDIA GPU that is part of the Tegra4 SoC, you'll only get updates for it via the Firmware Updates.

OP
kundas1

kundas1

ok that's what I thought, looks like I might have to take this device back, but it only does it when I wake up the device, not during usage. but it is still annoying that it pops up 10x for the failure.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What programs are you using when it crashes? Are you playing games, such as HALO Spartan Assault, Asphalt 7 or 8? The driver could be crashing due to over heating.

OP
kundas1

kundas1

please re-read my post :wink: but I just realized it is only doing it when in sleep, NOT DURING USE. I find that very strange in itself... also I find the back heats up a lot during gaming when I play the pinball FX game, is that normal? can someone who has a Surface 2 play halo or pinball and tell me if the back upper right corner (when looking at the screen) heats up? as maybe I'm thinking this is a hardware issue and I should take it back!

Last edited:
OP
kundas1

kundas1

sorry, also I forgot to mention that when I connect splashtop to my computers it is blurry, my other tablet I had was never blurry. is it because the Surface 2 is higher resolution? or is that an anomaly from the bad display drivers?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did this start after you installed the SplashTop App? Its possible it is crashing the driver. I know that you said it happens when it comes out of sleep, but the over heating can impact the system state and the evidence happens exiting the S0iX state....

OP
kundas1

kundas1

I don't know when this started happening, and as for last part of your post, I have no idea what your saying lol so should I un-install splashtop and see if this fixes the problem, or un-istall then re-install?