What's new

Display Port on Dock not working when connected mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort

I am having an issue with DisplayPort on my Surface Pro 3 Docking station. I have a mini DisplayPort to Display Port 1.2 cable, I connect it to my monitor (Samsung u28d590d 4K) and my docking station and I get no video on the external monitor. If I connect the mini display port to my surface directly it works but only goes to a maximum resolution of 2560x1440.

If I instead use a mini display port to hdmi adaptor all works as expected even from the docking station, I have full 4K resolution and both the external monitor and the surface display work.

All of this comes from this post where I am having a flickering issue when using the hdmi adapter.

Any Suggestions?
Another note is that sometimes when I connect the mdp to my dock the resolution on the surface display drops to 600x800

Lafayette

I experience the following with this configuration:

SP3, Win 8.1, docking station: mdp to hdmi, the view-able screen on my SP3 gets smaller when the mdp to hdmi is connected to my TV.
Image on TV is excellent.

Have you/ anyone experienced any reduction in screen size in your SP3 using these connections?

OP
Matthew VanDerlofske
I experience the following with this configuration:

SP3, Win 8.1, docking station: mdp to hdmi, the view-able screen on my SP3 gets smaller when the mdp to hdmi is connected to my TV.
Image on TV is excellent.

Have you/ anyone experienced any reduction in screen size in your SP3 using these connections?
That will occur if you are duplicating your displays. The TV is likely has a resolution of 1920X1080 and your surface display is matching that. The display on the surface is 2160X1440 which is why when connected it looks smaller.
You can change your display options so it Extends or show on the second screen only by hitting WindowsKey + P and selecting either of those options. If you extend both displays will run at their native resolution.

Lafayette

Thank you.

It's not terribly challenging since I only use this configuration to stream from the SP3 to the TV.

The TV can handle up to 3840 x 2160.

I don't understand it all, but I'm not gonna get crazy about the workarounds.

Thanks again.

Telstar1948

I am having an issue with DisplayPort on my Surface Pro 3 Docking station. I have a mini DisplayPort to Display Port 1.2 cable, I connect it to my monitor (Samsung u28d590d 4K) and my docking station and I get no video on the external monitor. If I connect the mini display port to my surface directly it works but only goes to a maximum resolution of 2560x1440.

If I instead use a mini display port to hdmi adaptor all works as expected even from the docking station, I have full 4K resolution and both the external monitor and the surface display work.

All of this comes from this post where I am having a flickering issue when using the hdmi adapter.

Any Suggestions?
Another note is that sometimes when I connect the mdp to my dock the resolution on the surface display drops to 600x800

I've heard some say that they ended up using a different DP cable from their dock to their external monitor and that solved the problem.

Lafayette

I coincidentally ordered another mdp to hdmi cable to determine if the cable may be lacking.

It is not of major importance to me since I as mentioned only use this feature to stream from the SP3.

Extended screens as suggested does the trick, solves the problem.

I will determine if it is the cable (and report back here).

By the way, I have yet to hook up my dual monitor setup using two Dell (Dell Ultrasharp U2415 24-Inch) daisy chained monitors.

More about that in another thread once I complete that setup.