What's new

Display will not wake up from sleep mode

billc062

Backstory; I purchased the Pro 3 in April of 2015 and I am on my third one due to warranty replacements. Yeah, so here I am with number 3 and it often will not wake up from sleep mode. The display will have a faint back light when trying to wake it up, but will not progress any further. I have tried turning it off by regular mode, but it will not turn off. Every time I have to hard restart by holding the power and volume up butttons at the same time to force it to restart. Then the set-up screen opens which I have to close out and wait for it to start up. This is happening a lot, sometimes a couple times per day. I am so frustrated with the Surface product that I am ready to go away completely from Microsoft. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue and has anyone found a fix? Mine is running Windows 10.

Chuck_IV

I get this once in a while with Windows 10. I can't say it's very often tho.

Do you have all the updates installed? If so, depending on how often this does happen, maybe do a complete reset.

Personally I am not a fan of Windows 10 on the SP3 as I have had more (minor) problems with it in the 3 months I have been running it(again) than the year plus I ran 8.1

OP
B

billc062

I don't think this is a Windows 10 issue as it also happened with 8. It happened three times today alone.

Chuck_IV

So I just had this happen on W10.

It DID wake up from hibernation initially and showed the lock screen but it dropped my Bluetooth mouse connection. So I pressed the power button when it was on the lock screen, to put it back into hibernation(I have the power button set to do this). I waited 30 seconds and tried to wake it but it would not display anything. The keyboard would light on a keypress and when touching the windows logo, I could feel a vibration, but a black screen remained.

I had to hold the power for 10 seconds. I'll have to see if I can replicate this later.

I'm about ready to go back to Windows 8 and be done with Windows 10 for good on this thing. This is the 2nd time I've loaded Windows 10 and the second time I am fed up with it.

InspectHerGadget

I have this issue too. I can't be 100% sure as this issue has happened on occasion even on 8.1 but lately I have had a few issues including freezing. I suspect it is W10 updates. Microsoft seem to be having trouble.

I had the issue and resolved it by installing latest Intel HD graphics driver. Of course, since then the new Windows update has updated that driver to whatever is the latest.

Haven't had any issue lately.

InspectHerGadget

I've had more strange things happen with the SP3 than any other computer I have owned. Yesterday I got the spinning circle for two hours and tried restarting it several times. Eventually it started and was then installing an update. Occasionally the display won't come up. I blame Microsoft for numerous updates to Windows 10 which alternatively fixes and breaks things.

It is going OK today...LOL