What's new

Displaying to HDMI?

Lolvo

Ok so the micro-HDMI (display port) to HDMI cable I bought came in, and I'm trying to get it to work. First time I plugged it in, my Surface screen went blank, but not off - which forced a shutdown and restart. I can't figure out what's wrong...the cable fits perfectly on both ends, but the Surface acts like nothing's there, and my TVs are saying "no signal" for that channel source, and now my Devices charm isn't coming up. What do I have to do to get this to work?

I just want to watch my YouTube videos on the big screen! Help :(

This is the cable I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281019237807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Weird...I bought a similar one from Amazon and had no issues with it, I know some adapters and cables have issues with the sloped side of the Surface and unfortunately it could be a faulty cable.

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

Weird...I bought a similar one from Amazon and had no issues with it, I know some adapters and cables have issues with the sloped side of the Surface and unfortunately it could be a faulty cable.

Is there something I have to do to tell the surface to display out through the port? Whether it be on IE, XboxVid, or Netflix?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Swipe from the right bezel and click devices...project and chose which mode you want

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

Swipe from the right bezel and click devices...project and chose which mode you want

Thanks, Jeff. I was hoping you would be quick with the reply.
I know all of this, but just wanted to clarify that I had the correct procedure down before eliminating that as the culprit, and deciding the cable was at fault. Really bums me out, but I guess I'll have to find another one. Could you find the link to the one you bought/use?

Padron26

have you right clicked on the desktop,
>screen resolution
>display
>select 2nd screen or duplicate screens

R0bR

Ok so the micro-HDMI (display port) to HDMI cable I bought came in, and I'm trying to get it to work. First time I plugged it in, my Surface screen went blank, but not off - which forced a shutdown and restart. I can't figure out what's wrong...the cable fits perfectly on both ends, but the Surface acts like nothing's there, and my TVs are saying "no signal" for that channel source, and now my Devices charm isn't coming up. What do I have to do to get this to work?

I just want to watch my YouTube videos on the big screen! Help :(

This is the cable I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281019237807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Are you running 8.1? My HDMI out no longer works since installing 8.1, if I plug it in my Surface screen goes black and I have to force shutoff.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not having issues with HDMI out using a cable or my HDMI to Micro-HDMI adapter in fact it seems to be working better as isn't forcing me to downscale to 1280x720 when mirrored.

CrippsCorner

I run HDMI and haven't had any major problems. However, once a day I have to unplug it and re-connect it because the font goes all funny, kind of like 'bold' and blurry if that makes sense!

DOS

I'm using the StarTech.com MDP2HDMI Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Converter on Windows 8.1... no problems.

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

After some tinkering with both TV picture and tablet resolution, I was able to get the cable to work! Had to lower resolution to 1380x768 in order for the picture to be clear on the TV. I am not sure why it decided to start working after I moved the television to another room. I have yet to try the cable on any other TV or monitor, but will post when that happens. The TVs in my home are of the brand Sceptre.

Now I'm wishing I had a cable longer than 6 feet!