What's new

Displayport 1.2 monitors or achieving dual external monitors

zhenya

Does anyone actually have this working yet with displayport or is it only in theory still?

I have two monitors running via a Targus USB 3 hub and the performance is acceptable for my office work.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Does anyone actually have this working yet with displayport or is it only in theory still?

I have two monitors running via a Targus USB 3 hub and the performance is acceptable for my office work.

I don't know if anybody here has specifically reported 2 monitors without USB 3.0. You could try something like this https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=rQlBUfuvHdKFyQHy-YCQDw&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAA and let us know if it works :) There was a third party article talking about running monitors only off DisplayPort was less stressful on the processor.

zhenya

Link doesn't work. :)

Yes, running monitors off USB is stressful to the processors - but again, fine for my workflow. DisplayPort would be preferred (even though it would mean a 3rd cable for docking) as it is a native monitor port. Unfortunately DP 1.2 hubs are not yet available, so daisy chaining means taking a chance on new monitors.

jeffskent

I'm not really sure why I would want to add a second monitor to the 27" Planar monitor I already use, but... Bigger is most often better, or so it seems to me. I just called a sales rep for the ZOTAC ZT-MDP2HD Mini-DisplayPort to Dual HDMI Adapter (at superbiiz.com) referenced above for $42.99. This splits the MiniDisplay Port out of the Surface Pro into two HDMI ports. The sales rep said if it doesn't work for the two monitors, I could get my money back. They don't, of course, offer technical support, but he did say they have about 5 in stock. I'm going to order one just to see if I can hook up my other 24" monitor to my poor little Surface Pro. Why not? For less than $50 shipping included? Also, since this is, apparently, only a minidisplay port splitter, it doesn't have to burden my single usb 3.0 port, which is already used by about 7 other powered and unpowered items on my desk.

I don't need touch based monitors since I don't like gorilla arms as Steve Jobs said. But, I could find an use for up to two 27" monitors, even though I am not a heavy duty stock trader or a mission controller for earth to space rockets. But, I like to play one on TV.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Link doesn't work. :)

Yes, running monitors off USB is stressful to the processors - but again, fine for my workflow. DisplayPort would be preferred (even though it would mean a 3rd cable for docking) as it is a native monitor port. Unfortunately DP 1.2 hubs are not yet available, so daisy chaining means taking a chance on new monitors.

Strange it seems to have worked for jeffskent. In any case, it is a mini DisplayPort to HDMI spliter as he mentioned. These don't seem to be widely available yet and are in the price range of about $50. Basically you can offload your DisplayPort to various adapters that do VGA, DVI or HDMI but I haven't seen much of anything talking about using DisplayPort to DisplayPort input and daisy chaining. Here is another possible splitter example with a hopefully working link Mac Laptop Mini DisplayPort Thunderbolt Input to Dual HDMI HDTV Output Converter | eBay.

zhenya

Strange it seems to have worked for jeffskent. In any case, it is a mini DisplayPort to HDMI spliter as he mentioned. These don't seem to be widely available yet and are in the price range of about $50. Basically you can offload your DisplayPort to various adapters that do VGA, DVI or HDMI but I haven't seen much of anything talking about using DisplayPort to DisplayPort input and daisy chaining. Here is another possible splitter example with a hopefully working link Mac Laptop Mini DisplayPort Thunderbolt Input to Dual HDMI HDTV Output Converter | eBay.

Working now from my home computer.

I'm fairly sure these are just 'splitters' in that they will replicate the same signal to multiple monitors. These are relatively widely available, all at about the same price. For only $36.40 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt to DVI (2 DVI Output) Converter

Your second link to the Dell monitors is more what we are after - real DisplayPort v1.2 daisy chaining. Right now it looks like the only possibility is through a monitor; in the future we are expecting a small adapter to do the same thing for existing monitors. Something like this.

graphicsblog1.jpg

for the short term, we it seems we should expect these with a power adapter.

graphicsblog61.jpg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes, I get that. Unfortunately that is the problem ;) I also suspect they might be simple splitters but so far it doesn't look like anybody has tried to confirm. If they actually output different screens then it is going to be the cheapest quickest solution unless you have two DP monitors to link up (haven't seen that so far either). There are also KVM switch type devices to switch between PCs and those run in the hundreds of dollars for DisplayPort options. My best guess is that by the end of the year there will probably be several options but not so much for now.

Here is the ultimate goal but sadly this is from 2010 and almost 2 1/2 years later we are still dreaming about it :( AnandTech | AMD?s Radeon HD 6870 & 6850: Renewing Competition in the Mid-Range Market

Daisy.jpg

MSTHub.jpg

E6.jpg

Lafayette

SP3, i5, 256gb, 8gb ram, dual DELL U2415 monitors, docking station, TypePad, plus other peripherals, such as 4TB My Cloud Mirror as networked storage, and file backup; and two WIFI HP printers (laser and AIO). All working seamlessly.

Monitors are daisy chained BUT must be connected directly to the mDP on the SP3.

The docking station mDP out is not compatible, yet.

Apparently MS is working on a hardware device adapter that will add power to the mDP out on the docking station. Looking forward to that.