What's new

Do I Need To Return Tablet Or Just The Power Supply?

Pavlov

I recently returned my Surface 2 and power supply to the retatiler I purchased it from due to a charging fault. The retailer sent both items to Microsoft for repair/replacement. After a week or so I was supplied with a replacement tablet but the original power supply.

The retailer tested the tablet and power supply before I left the store and unfortunately the problem still existed. I am therefore quite sure the power supply is at fault. The retailer wouldn't supply a replacement charger from store stock and told me all they could do was once again send the tablet and power supply back top Microsoft for repair/replacement. I decided to take the tablet and power supply home and arrange to send it back to Microsoft myself.

Can anyone tell me if it would be necessary for me to send the replacement tablet back to Microsoft or would it be acceptable to just send the power supply as it seems quite obvious that it, not the tablet is causing the charging issues?

jamesk

Just order a replacement power supply from the warranty site under replace accessory. You don't need to send anything in.

Did your retailer not exchange your Surface because it was not in stock or is it their policy to only send in all units for repair?

OP
P

Pavlov

Just order a replacement power supply from the warranty site under replace accessory. You don't need to send anything in.

Did your retailer not exchange your Surface because it was not in stock or is it their policy to only send in all units for repair?

I can't find the 'replace accessory' option on myservice.surface.com. Maybe it is because I am in Australia. The retailer didn't exchange the Surface because their policy is to return all faulty units to Microsoft.

jamesk

It looks like the options have changed. I did the live chat with an agent to get mine replaced too. I had one that was a making a humming noise and they sent me a replacement.

pbnationrc

Call them. I had to call them since I tried sending it in by itself through their online center....that was a mistake. Nothing but problems and someone talking to me from England....I live in Michigan....

I finally got a hold of someone in the States and they sent me a new one. But when I first registered for the online warranty it was a day or so before warranty was up. When I finally talked to someone in the States, it was after. She had to check with someone but eventually said they will still honor my warranty since they have on file me trying to get warranty before it was up.

The guy in England wanted me to send my whole tablet in...umm no. I use it for business everyday. I have sensitive files on my computer. Not going to happen.