What's new

Do Not BUY SP3. You will be sorry

mmoran27

View attachment 4196 This is why
- Received another defective unit as replacement.

Update - I took replacement unit to the MS store and they were able to swap for a new one.

1) My SP3 had screen artifacts. I sent them a photo so they had me ship it off. They generated an RMA number and I brought it to FEDEX
2) No word for a week. I see they received from tracking information. I call support. They say it is broken so they sent it back. No tracking number is provided.
3) A few days later I get a tracking number in email. It is bogus. I call fedex they confirm that MS has not shipped the device but just printed a label.
4) I call back every day like goundhog day. No One can help
5) So Here I am 15 days later with no SP3 broken or replacement unit. No One in support can tell me where it is.
6) They tell me to wait 2-3 business days every day while they investigate. That was a week ago.

Boneheads. Clueless, Useless

24 days later MS sent me a re manufactured unit that is bent. It does not lay flat. there is a big gap on top where they emoved the screen.

It has serious backlight bleed. The glass is warped because they didn't glue the screen flat.

These units should not be repairable and MS does a crappy job repairing these. Save yourself the headache. Worst support ever.

Update
Just got old one back 10/17. Yes 17 days later. No word on when replacement if any. See photos below.

Update
23 days now with no end in sight. This is Why.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 662
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:

JimB

Do exchanges in the Microsoft stores and this would not happen. I know some don't live close enough but for those who do.....

OP
M

mmoran27

This is why

1) My SP3 had screen artifacts. I sent them a photo so they had me ship it off. They generated an RMA number and I brought it to FEDEX
2) No word for a week. I see they received from tracking information. I call support. They say it is broken so they sent it back. No tracking number is provided.
3) A few days later I get a tracking number in email. It is bogus. I call fedex they confirm that MS has not shipped the device but just printed a label.
4) I call back every day like goundhog day. No One can help
5) So Here I am 15 days later with no SP3 broken or replacement unit. No One in support can tell me where it is.
6) They tell me to wait 2-3 business days every day while they investigate. That was a week ago.

I have talked to Supervisors. My guess this is a call center somewhere and their supervisor is the agent sitting next to him.

Supposedly this was escalated. Yea right. I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau.
I call every day and they tell me the same thing. My chat agent today told me not to worry and consider this resolved. Like how?

I did not buy it from the MS store so I cannot take it there.

kundas1

I luv how they tell you not to worry, yet your out of a $1000+ device! sure its not THEIR DEVICE so why do they care? I would be calling bill gates himself if I could lol....

Liam2349

So where did you buy it?

If it's really this bad, you should post the situation on social media. Go on Twitter. I couldn't last one day without my Surface, never mind 15 - I rely on it for all of my work.

wynand32

At the risk of being called a fanboy--and I've been called a fanboy every time I've made similar posts on every forum I've visited for at least the major players--this is a horrible situation that's of course intolerable. It's also something that can and has been experienced with every company. And for what it's worth, my experiences with Microsoft support have been exemplary, both online and in the store; right up there with my Apple experiences, honestly. As they say, mileage varies.

The only reason I point this out is that folks will visit this forum, read the original post, and get the impression that this kind of service is common, maybe even unique, to Microsoft. That's untrue, and unfair.

I wish the OP the best in getting this resolved, and I'm sure it will be--hopefully with some kind of compensation for the lost time. At the very least, I'd ask for a nice lengthy chunk of OneDrive storage or an Office 365 subscription. Definitely, something should be given for pain and suffering. And as others have said, escalate, escalate, escalate, including on social media. The @surface Twitter account is usually pretty responsive; I'd start there, politely and generally at first, because they usually like to avoid airing the details in public and will take things direct to avoid doing so.

VickiFL

I would threaten to call my local Action News team that deals with stories like this. Everyone that calls them always gets a resolution to their problem. Plus, it's bad press, so just that threat will get a lot of companies to fix the problem, quickly.

Example, GE tried to give me the runaround about my dryer. The first tech said it was safe to use, and ordered a ball bearing. The damn dryer almost set fire to our house, and yes, I took pictures. You would be surprised how quickly companies react when you threaten to show photos like that on Facebook, for all to see

The first person at CS tried to blow me off until I raised hell. Our dryer, that almost burned down our home.

zvd3ww.jpg

ctitanic

At the risk of being called a fanboy--and I've been called a fanboy every time I've made similar posts on every forum I've visited for at least the major players--this is a horrible situation that's of course intolerable. It's also something that can and has been experienced with every company. And for what it's worth, my experiences with Microsoft support have been exemplary, both online and in the store; right up there with my Apple experiences, honestly. As they say, mileage varies.

The only reason I point this out is that folks will visit this forum, read the original post, and get the impression that this kind of service is common, maybe even unique, to Microsoft. That's untrue, and unfair.

I wish the OP the best in getting this resolved, and I'm sure it will be--hopefully with some kind of compensation for the lost time. At the very least, I'd ask for a nice lengthy chunk of OneDrive storage or an Office 365 subscription. Definitely, something should be given for pain and suffering. And as others have said, escalate, escalate, escalate, including on social media. The @surface Twitter account is usually pretty responsive; I'd start there, politely and generally at first, because they usually like to avoid airing the details in public and will take things direct to avoid doing so.
These are the best advices. I would go that route myself if I need.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recommend you hire a consumer advocate, you know, one of those people that take care of the problem for you.