What's new

Do Not BUY SP3. You will be sorry

macmee

Yeah, with my SP2 it took 21 days for Microsoft to exchange my device. I was told it would take less than a week and also had trouble tracking what was happening. When the replacement did finally come, UPS left it out in the open by my door when it was freezing cold outside and rainy/snowy. They then didn't remove the hold from my credit card for 4 months. I have heard very bad things and very good things about Microsoft support. Seems like they're very hit and miss.

My SP3 arrived within days though, ordered from the Microsoft Store. I don't get it, but then Microsoft has always been very hit or miss with me. Luckily my SP3 has been a hit *knocks on wood*.

OP
M

mmoran27

Worst company ever. I got a call today and this is what they had to say.

1) My device is being shipped back to me. Arrival date is the 17th
2) I need to send it back to them when I get it. Why didn't they just keep it? WTH
3) Once they receive it back they will file a claim with FedEx for the broken screen (7-10 days)
4) After they will process a replacement device (another 5 -8) days.

So let's see.

Sent in on Sept 30th.
Get back October 17th
Wait another 10 days
Wait another 8 days

So in total I am without a computer for one month and 4 days. That is not counting any weekends. So more like middle of November before I get a replacement.

This is Microsoft Support folks. Worlds worst customer service. I guarantee you I am not alone.

I have sent emails back to the CARE team and guess what. No reply at all to my concerns. Care team is Care Less team.

I posted on their Twitter site. They told me to call their useless support team.

Oh and it gets better. They will send me whatever is available at the time. That is their words. That means a USED item.

So yes you send in new and they send you USED or refurbished

Last edited:

lonaysta

One quick question: why not use advanced replacement option so you can get a replacement unit asap?
And I think it is fair for the company to send you a certified refurbished unit if the 30-day return windows is passed. That's what most companies do; if a company send brand-new retail packaged units as replacement all the time, it is far above industry average.

Aeron15

Most support can only access information available to them. Most of the time, they're not even in the same country as you.

Alexander

The staff at the Microsoft store were immensely helpful when my roommate brought in defective devices. And they replaced them right away.

I think when it comes to returning, it is worth traveling and hour or two if the Microsoft store is not nearby. I think Microsoft tried their best to have a policy that would deter buyers from refunding the product

OP
M

mmoran27

I did not purchase it at MS store they dont do warrsnty repairs. Product was damaged during shipping they need item back to file a claim with fedex. They will not send me a unit until after.

Also note that when you send item for respair in Texas they then ship it off to Mexico.

And guess what FedEx does not offer ground seevice in Mexico so it ships via unknown carrier back from Mexico to Texas before it gets back to you. The 5-8 business days for a repair is a Lie because the process to ship from Mexico to Texas to you takes 10 days. I confirmed this with FedEx. So they shipped my device from Texss to Mexico and back since the 1st. Whole time 17 days and no repair was done so add that time if you need a repair.

This is a shady practice

nightpoison

Just playing devils advocate, but you didnt send them a new device. Its used, unless you left it in the box the entire time you had it. Dont get me wrong i hate exchanging my used device for someone elses used device as much as the next person. But to keep it in perspect your not exchanging a new device for a used one.

kundas1

haha but your forgetting that when you bought your device from MSFT did you buy it USED? no! also another factor you have to agree on is that most devices that are defective and people send it back for repair are within a very short time frame.. like 1 week or a month, so it's hardly USED like your implying... but when a customer sends it in for replacement and it's near the 1 yr mark then I can see MSFT sending a refurbished unit...

nightpoison

haha but your forgetting that when you bought your device from MSFT did you buy it USED? no! also another factor you have to agree on is that most devices that are defective and people send it back for repair are within a very short time frame.. like 1 week or a month, so it's hardly USED like your implying... but when a customer sends it in for replacement and it's near the 1 yr mark then I can see MSFT sending a refurbished unit...

I agree with you for the most part. Take the fact that I bought my surface pro 3 new out of the equation, because it still stands its no longer new once you start using it. you are in fact getting an exchange for a used device in exchange for a used device.

I do agree regarding short time frames, in my opinion the first month should be exchanged even if it can be fixed, unless its software related. After that up to 3 months should be exchanged for a new and only new device. That's my opinion.

My experience has been the majority of people continue to believe even passed the 1 year mark they should be getting a new device. I didn't conduct any specific trials or tests, but after working in retail for the better part of 15 years, the last 7 in retail wireless I've gotten a good idea of exchanges and customer expectations.

I

HAPrieto

I placed the order via phone line (call center is in Philippines), well I received two SP3 and an SP2, they charged me only for two SP3s. I called about 4 times to let them know, but they provided me with another escalation number. I only received one phone call from Microsoft telling me that a RMA will be sent to me, but still waiting. I called my bank to dispute the second Microsoft charged with they did credit my account. Now I have an extra SP3 and an SP2 in their box waiting for them to provide the RMA.

I did not purchase it at MS store they dont do warrsnty repairs...

I know it's too late now, but I just took my SP3, which I ordered online, back to a B&M store, and they handed me a new one, no questions asked. I DO have Complete, so maybe that made a difference. I also called first before going since the closest store is an hour away from me.