What's new

Do You Really Use Cortana?

Benjamin

Hey All:
It took a while but I finally got Cortana to respond to my "Hey Cortana". Problem now is, what do I use Cortana for? I like to find out from you all if you find Cortana useful and if so, what is the most used commands/questions you are asking Cortana?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Searching locally and the web, upcoming appointments, setting appointments, looking for places of interest, etc.

OP
Benjamin

Benjamin

Just wondering ... is there a way to train Cortana to open files based on a filename. For instance, I might have an Excel file in some folder named "Traffic Projections Q1-2015.xls" .... I like to say something like "Hey Cortana, please open Traffic Projection excel file".

Is that possible?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering ... is there a way to train Cortana to open files based on a filename. For instance, I might have an Excel file in some folder named "Traffic Projections Q1-2015.xls" .... I like to say something like "Hey Cortana, please open Traffic Projection excel file".

Is that possible?
That should be doable....I just searched for a file name

cldittus

I use Cortana for setting reminders, keeping track of and updating calendar appointments, starting and stopping music while I'm working, local and web searches, tracking my news interests, and quick answers to questions....I was using Cortana on my phone for a while now and having her on my Surface is awesome!!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ask Cortana "What can you do?" by voice or text. I use most of the items on the list.

CrippsCorner

I haven't found a use for Cortana yet, but maybe I will eventually. I was never a fan of Siri either but have just started using it a little bit... thing is, with Siri I'm really only using it when I'm either outside (harder to see the iPhone screen) or on the go, and I talk to it through my headphones. Neither of these situations apply to Surface.

I also find that Cortana very really hears me correctly, if at all! Whereas Siri is pretty much perfect.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I use Cortana all the time on my phone I find the reminder function very useful. The voice recognition is excellent.

kristalsoldier

I use Cortana on my phones too. I do like how Cortana has been integrated in W10, but I don't think it is integrated with Cortana on phones though (8.1), which is a pity because it would be very helpful. Currently, I have to make entries both on my phone AND on my Surface, which kind of undermines the cross-device application. Maybe things will change when the phones get updated to Windows 10 Phone.