What's new

Do you use screen protectors?

vsherry

I usually don't get along with screen protectors. I usually leave behind air bubbles and dust, and I often don't like the way they feel or look. But I have finally come across some that are made especially for the Surface Pro 3. I might buy one.

It's also worth noting that I sometimes get annoyed by the fingerprints left on my touchscreen, and the protector may provide a solution.

offshell

I use the tempered glass style protectors but being glass they have the same fingerprints as the bare screen. I could never stand the original Zagg protectors but I've got Zagg glass on both my phone and my surface pro 3. No issues with either one.

annabanana

I've only used screen protectors once on a phone and didn't like the effect on the screen. My screen is protected by the type cover when closed.

I usually don't get along with screen protectors. I usually leave behind air bubbles and dust, and I often don't like the way they feel or look. But I have finally come across some that are made especially for the Surface Pro 3. I might buy one.

It's also worth noting that I sometimes get annoyed by the fingerprints left on my touchscreen, and the protector may provide a solution.

Had the MS tempered glass version for my SP3, worked well - although after about a week it cracked/chipped slightly. Took it back to the MS store, and no questions asked got a new one. Best thing is if you can get it in the store they'll apply it for you so it's perfect, and you wont have to deal with putting it on yourself. You do lose around, I'd say 5-10% feedback when using the touchscreen though as the MS one is pretty thick.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Never liked screen protectors on phones or computers until glass came out. Now I have the Zagg glass on both the Surface Pro 3 and the iPhone 6 Plus. I forget they are even on, until threads like this one come around.

ChrisPanzer

Personally, I absolutely despise the ubiquitous glare-laden screens on nearly all devices. Therefore, on each new device I purchase, I make sure to also purchase a high-quality anti-glare, (aka 'privacy' guard, or matte finish) screen protector. They nearly eliminate glare, however, the downside is that you loose a bit of the luminosity of the screen.

Not to mention, it keeps the screen safe from light scratches and dings, as the type cover is not ALWAYS in the retracted position.

Screen protector a must for me. (Still wonders why manufacturers still insist on glare-laden surfaces) <scratches head>
wa28i1.jpg
2rcvleb.jpg

ptrkhh

Personally, I absolutely despise the ubiquitous glare-laden screens on nearly all devices. Therefore, on each new device I purchase, I make sure to also purchase a high-quality anti-glare, (aka 'privacy' guard, or matte finish) screen protector. They nearly eliminate glare, however, the downside is that you loose a bit of the luminosity of the screen.

Not to mention, it keeps the screen safe from light scratches and dings, as the type cover is not ALWAYS in the retracted position.

Screen protector a must for me. (Still wonders why manufacturers still insist on glare-laden surfaces) <scratches head>
How does the inking feel like now? Im thinking to put a matte as well since writing on the SP3 doesn't feel quite like pen+paper due to the lack of friction. But Im also concerned about the nib wearing out when I use it with matte screen

Nuspieds

I always had screen protectors...dating way back to when I got my first smartphone (an HTC Windows Mobile device).

Applying them was never "easy" in that I'm a perfectionist, so I always hated the bubbles! :mad: When I got the iPhone 5, I decided to ditch screen protectors completely. I wanted direct interaction with that beautiful screen and I'm a brightness freak, so I prefer no obstructions on it whatsoever.

When I purchased the SP1, however, I did also buy a screen protector. Once again, it was back to the painstaking application and trying to avoid/minimize the bubbles. I finally got it applied and within two minutes, I removed it because it made my screen less bright ("dull" would be more accurate, really).

So, like my iPhone, my SP1 and SP2 devices are free of any screen add-ons and that's the way I like it.

OP
V

vsherry

I had one on my last tablet, an Onda V989, but I, too, removed it because the screen became dull.

I believe the screen protectors in the MS store are slightly more expensive than the ones I saw at Best Buy, but if I can get them to apply, I'll pay extra.

Fly

Personally, I absolutely despise the ubiquitous glare-laden screens on nearly all devices. Therefore, on each new device I purchase, I make sure to also purchase a high-quality anti-glare, (aka 'privacy' guard, or matte finish) screen protector.

I'm exactly the same. Can't stand glossy screens, especially on portable devices with touch. Its like a mirror with smudgeorgies on it.

I use a iLLumiShield Matte/Anti-Glare screen protector on my SP3 and it works great. Straight out of the box it has quite a rough surface. It feels just like normal paper when you drag your finger across it. For breaking it in I recommend:
  1. Use it relentlessly as a tablet for the first couple of days (think Fruit Ninja etc.).
  2. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe it lightly 2-3 times/day to help smooth texture out.
  3. Don't use the pen until texture has smoothed out (approx 2-5 days depending on use).
When this is done the pen experience is better IMHO, it has slightly more resistance (think glass and paper had a baby), visable smudges is probably reduced with about 94,6% and screen is usable outside a batcave.

Highly recommended.