What's new

Dock audio problem since last update

mickjf

As of the July update I have a problem where on resume from sleep the audio device reverts to the inbuilt speakers instead of going to my monitor through the dock (connected with a mini dp to dp cable). I've tried it with a Pro 3 and Pro 4 dock and two different monitors with the same result.

Reboot and it picks up the display audio okay but after a couple of sleep cycles it goes to the inbuilt speakers. Anyone else have the same problem?

Reactions: SHJ

SHJ

The same issue here. I have a MX27AQ attached to the SP4 dock through a miniDP to DP converter. When I try to change it to the external monitor again, there is no external monitor in the list of "playback devices". So I have to reboot to return the external monitor to this list.

If I forget to detach my headphone while it reboots, I cannot find the external monitor in the list again.

leeshor

The same issue here. I have a MX27AQ attached to the SP4 dock through a miniDP to DP converter. When I try to change it to the external monitor again, there is no external monitor in the list of "playback devices". So I have to reboot to return the external monitor to this list.

If I forget to detach my headphone while it reboots, I cannot find the external monitor in the list again.
Welcome to the forum

I noticed you said converter. If you are not using just a cable but needing to use an adapter your problem should get corrected if you use an active rather than passive one. This may help. What is the difference between a passive and active DisplayPort converter? | FAQ | StarTech.com

SHJ

Welcome to the forum

I noticed you said converter. If you are not using just a cable but needing to use an adapter your problem should get corrected if you use an active rather than passive one. This may help. What is the difference between a passive and active DisplayPort converter? | FAQ | StarTech.com

Thanks for the fast reply.

I use a cable to convert miniDP to DP, so I think it's a passive one. Still, I think it's related to the recent update since I didn't have such a problem in past. I will wait till the next update to see if this issue is solved.

OP
M

mickjf

I'm the same. Have always used a passive converter and since they sorted out the dock problems with an update ~6 months ago it hasn't been problem. Now all of a sudden it is and I'm not planning on buying an active converter, they can sort it out.

MarkusMaximus

I use my SP4 on the dock as a HTPC. I have a miniDP to HDMI converter which runs to my amp. I have the same problem too. Every time the surface goes to sleep it loses the connection to the HDMI audio and defaults back to the internal surface speakers. The only way to get it back is a reboot.

It worked great for the past 4 months, now I'm contemplating selling and getting something more reliable.

Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP!!! Driving me crazy having to restart my SP4 every time.

Anyone figure a workaround out yet?

OP
M

mickjf

Still having the same problem. Have tried every option. Fresh anniversary update, different monitors, different cables, SP3 dock, SP4 dock, direct connection to miniDP on SP4, connection using the dock. I have 2 SP4s and it does it with both. Revert back to Win 10 from SP4 recovery USB with old drivers and no problems.

Clearly this is a problem introduced with the July drivers as it happened the day after for both my SP4s.