What's new

Dock for the Surface pro?

mitchellvii

You didn't actually expect MS to make accessories for their flagship product even though they have been planning this for 3 years did you? That would have taken time from perfecting the sound the kickstand makes when it closes. While you are looking, find me some replacement nibs for my pen. Oh that's right, none of those either.

Nuspieds

I would love a dock for this Surface Pro... I just got done staging 15 ThinkPad Tablet2's for a Pilot Project and the dock is a great feature. Its only 10/100 and only USB 2.0 but it is just awesome to be able to drop it in the dock and use it like I would my laptop or desktop.
Patience. :)

The SP is a v1 product; it's unrealistic to expect to have all sorts of accessories and add-ons on day one or with this v1 release. First and foremost, the product has to sell well enough so that the manufacturer and its partners can then beef up the v2 release. This is not an issue, as v1 has definitely proven to be successful, even though it is still not yet available worldwide.

In the meantime, for shortcomings like the lack of a docking station, you can simulate your own with a USB hub. Without a doubt, we will continue to see an improved and refined product in v2, v3, etc., but no version will ever be perfect, because that's just the nature of technology and our needs, desires and expectations.

At the end of the day, with the SP being a full-blown PC, I have no doubt that an accessory like a true docking station will be forthcoming. We just need to get past this first release before we start seeing some additional features and accessories which we are accustomed to having for a mature and stable product.

vinumsv

The SP is a v1 product; it's unrealistic to expect to have all sorts of accessories and add-ons on day one or with this v1 release. First and foremost, the product has to sell well enough so that the manufacturer and its partners can then beef up the v2 release. This is not an issue, as v1 has definitely proven to be successful, even though it is still not yet available worldwide.

In the meantime, for shortcomings like the lack of a docking station, you can simulate your own with a USB hub. Without a doubt, we will continue to see an improved and refined product in v2, v3, etc., but no version will ever be perfect, because that's just the nature of technology and our needs, desires and expectations.

At the end of the day, with the SP being a full-blown PC, I have no doubt that an accessory like a true docking station will be forthcoming. We just need to get past this first release before we start seeing some additional features and accessories which we are accustomed to having for a mature and stable product.

+1 and We always except more out of the products we buy or wish to buy :p

OP
machistmo

machistmo

The thinkpad tablet2, despite its name is the first Windows Tablet in that form factor. The previous tablet was an Android based model. Strangely, while this unit has a dock, it has no sleeve to carry it WITH the keyboard. There is a pouch but it is useless. The Tablet original has a nice case for both that allows for the keyboard to operate as the stand. So while the TPT2 has a dock it has no carry option that makes sense, the Surface pro has no dock but the keyboard is absolutely perfectly portable. It is a mad mad world!!!

That being said, seriously MS a dock woulda friggin killed you?

mitchellvii

Patience my a**. MS has been working on the SP for 3 years. This IS the product they wanted. The fact it has so many issues is because they wanted some of the wrong things. Assuming MS is in this business to make money, why not make a dock and sell it to us for $150? Because they believe we don't need (or want) a dock. They probably focus grouped it and determined people hate docks as much as they hate Start Buttons.

So why no dock? Same reason why no adjustable kickstand. MS was going for form over function and a dock isn't sleek and cool. Useful? Very. Sexy? Not very. Same reason why they choose a 10.6" screen on an ultrabook replacement when every single competitor is going 11.6". If MS is smart their new RT model will be 8 inches and their new Pro model will be 11.6". There is really no reason both models need to be the same size.

Nuspieds

Patience my a**. MS has been working on the SP for 3 years. This IS the product they wanted. The fact it has so many issues is because they wanted some of the wrong things. Assuming MS is in this business to make money, why not make a dock and sell it to us for $150? Because they believe we don't need (or want) a dock. They probably focus grouped it and determined people hate docks as much as they hate Start Buttons.

So why no dock? Same reason why no adjustable kickstand. MS was going for form over function and a dock isn't sleek and cool. Useful? Very. Sexy? Not very. Same reason why they choose a 10.6" screen on an ultrabook replacement when every single competitor is going 11.6". If MS is smart their new RT model will be 8 inches and their new Pro model will be 11.6". There is really no reason both models need to be the same size.
So the fact that they have been working on a product for 3 (or more) years means that when it finally comes to market that it will be perfect and meet everyone's needs?

So what if they focus-grouped? Many companies do; even Hollywood. At the end of the day they will interpret the results of the focus group and implement what they see fit. It doesn't mean that they will get it right or wrong but, nevertheless, it is a common tool not unique to Microsoft.

Not everything that Microsoft touches turns to gold so why should they go all out and bet all that they have (and then some) on the Surface? Microsoft is more a software company than it is hardware. They released to market a fantastic piece of hardware that goes beyond just consuming information. Does it have holes? Does it have shortcomings? Does it have weaknesses? Of course! But that doesn't mean that it isn't a great product that will be improved over time.

Does Windows have holes? Does Windows have shortcomings? Does Windows have weaknesses? Of course! But that doesn't mean that it isn't a great product that will be improved over time. As a matter of fact, substitute "Windows" for any other successful product and the answer still holds true.

Fact is, Surface v1, like the Xbox v1 and any other successful product, tested the waters. They saw the results and, therefore, expect not the best and most mature product in v1, but a better and improved product in v2, v3, v4, etc. So, yes, patience.

mitchellvii

So the fact that they have been working on a product for 3 (or more) years means that when it finally comes to market that it will be perfect and meet everyone's needs?

So what if they focus-grouped? Many companies do; even Hollywood. At the end of the day they will interpret the results of the focus group and implement what they see fit. It doesn't mean that they will get it right or wrong but, nevertheless, it is a common tool not unique to Microsoft.

Not everything that Microsoft touches turns to gold so why should they go all out and bet all that they have (and then some) on the Surface? Microsoft is more a software company than it is hardware. They released to market a fantastic piece of hardware that goes beyond just consuming information. Does it have holes? Does it have shortcomings? Does it have weaknesses? Of course! But that doesn't mean that it isn't a great product that will be improved over time.

Does Windows have holes? Does Windows have shortcomings? Does Windows have weaknesses? Of course! But that doesn't mean that it isn't a great product that will be improved over time. As a matter of fact, substitute "Windows" for any other successful product and the answer still holds true.

Fact is, Surface v1, like the Xbox v1 and any other successful product, tested the waters. They saw the results and, therefore, expect not the best and most mature product in v1, but a better and improved product in v2, v3, v4, etc. So, yes, patience.

My point is that MS doesn't think they got it wrong. They think they are right and we just don't get it because we aren't as evolved as they. I promise you, MS was SHOCKED that the Surface was not a HUGE SMASHING success. That is the #1 challenge facing the Surface line going forward. MS doesn't believe they got it wrong at all. They are pushing on a rope.

J515OP

Super Moderator
My point is that MS doesn't think they got it wrong. They think they are right and we just don't get it because we aren't as evolved as they. I promise you, MS was SHOCKED that the Surface was not a HUGE SMASHING success. That is the #1 challenge facing the Surface line going forward. MS doesn't believe they got it wrong at all. They are pushing on a rope.

If that were true there would be no Surface 2. Why make one if nothing is wrong? Yet we already know a revised v2 is coming just like we know MS talked about a dock. It takes time to get peripherals out. Even Apple who is one of the best at putting out new products suffered months of issues and accessory delays with a simple connector change.

mitchellvii

If that were true there would be no Surface 2. Why make one if nothing is wrong? Yet we already know a revised v2 is coming just like we know MS talked about a dock. It takes time to get peripherals out. Even Apple who is one of the best at putting out new products suffered months of issues and accessory delays with a simple connector change.

Well for one thing there is always a 2. Haswell alone is rationale for a Surface Pro 2. But I expect the core of what Surface Pro is to remain unchanged. We'll see. If Windows Phone is any example of MS being able to adapt to market input I don't have high hopes. I have no skin in this game. If the next MS product is the best I will get it, if not I will get something else.

But I tell you one thing. MS better show me a hell of a lot more willingness to listen to the consumer than they have if they ever hope to see more of my money. I would say the technology media widely reflect this viewpoint.

J515OP

Super Moderator
What about Windows blue? Obviously they can't make everything perfect in one shot but you surely must consider it evidence MS is trying to roll out improvements.