What's new

Dock for the Surface pro?

OP
machistmo

machistmo

What about Windows blue? Obviously they can't make everything perfect in one shot but you surely must consider it evidence MS is trying to roll out improvements.

Windows Blue is proof Microsoft is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. They forced Metro on us and are now back-tracking there with the Boot-To-Desktop option. I would imagine that by the time it drops, blue will allow you to add back the start button as well. There is a MS shaped hole in the wall they left chasing Apples business model. In the process what was MS's model has been ruined.

lonbeme

I purchased the Plugable USB 3.0 Docking station. It works fantastic!!!
1 USB cable and power is all that hooks to the SP.
So not a physical "dock" but more like a hub. But so much connects to it:
HDMI & DV
Ethernet hardwire
4 USB2
2 USB3
1 sound out for speakers etc
1 mic in

It MAKES the SP what I need when I'm in office. Awesome

drolem

Hey the head of Blackberry just said that tablets will be dead in five years. We can all stop arguing now.

BlackBerry chief: tablets will be dead in five years' time | Technology | theguardian.com

Sour grapes....

In contrast with Apple, which saw sales of its iPad tablet jump by 65% year on year to 19.4m in the most recent quarter, BlackBerry has had little success in the tablet space since the launch in 2011 of its 7in PlayBook tablet. Since the launch it has proved a poor business for BlackBerry, which has shipped a total of 2.4m over eight fiscal quarters, and it had to take a $485m charge in 2011 against unsold inventory. In the same period Apple has shipped 111.8m iPads, including an unknown number of its new 8in iPad mini, and generated a total of $58.7bn in revenues.

D

Deleted member 10837

I think I would rather use this that does not need external power to connect flash drive, Ethernet and external SSD with headphone and Mini DisplayPort to DVI connected straight to the tablet then use "a hulking device where the Surface Pro/2 slides in at an angle and is held in place with by arms on the side that are pulled out to release the tablet".

Last edited by a moderator:

mitchellvii

How about this. Instead of buying a Surface and a keyboard and a dock and all that, why not just buy a hybrid that has it all included? Seems silly to have to carry around a suitcase full of accessories just to make your SP do what a hybrid does.

chrisleung

How about this. Instead of buying a Surface and a keyboard and a dock and all that, why not just buy a hybrid that has it all included? Seems silly to have to carry around a suitcase full of accessories just to make your SP do what a hybrid does.

mitchellvii, can you give us a few examples of good hybrids?

BirdmanAJ

I think you are confused about what a dock is. A dock allows you to connect all you desktop accessories quickly and easily. For example it will hopefully charge, connect to my 27inch screen, full size keyboard, mouse and my external drive all by clicking into place.

If I'm on the move I just take the Surface itself, no need for a suitcase. :wink:

Last edited:
Through out PC history there has always been next generation systems based on the latest available uP and mem upgrades. With desktop units this has meant new motherboards; with notebooks this has almost always meant new systems. A new system is inevitable if MS is to keep the form and function of the Surface. Hell, I held off on my first PC because I knew that a 8086 would be upgraded; I waited all the way to an 80286. ;) I missed out on the 4 and 8 bit uPs. So it goes.

CrippsCorner

I think you are confused about what a dock is. A dock allows you to connect all you desktop accessories quickly and easily. For example it will hopefully charge, connect to my 27inch screen, full size keyboard, mouse and my external drive all by clicking into place.

If I'm on the move I just take the Surface itself, no need for a suitcase. :wink:

Or... Type Cover, bluetooth mouse, bluetooth audio connection and Miracast, this is the way I'm going! Halfway there atm lol.