What's new

Dock mini display port no video

Colavsman

We just got 2 Surface Pro 3's in our office. We also just got docks on Friday for both. We're trying to plug in monitors through the mini displayport on the dock. Windows recognizes something is plugged in, but you can never get video through it. If I plug the same monitor to the mini displayport on the Surface itself, it works fine. I have verified this behavior with 2 different surfaces and 2 different docks. I have tried 2 monitors and one TV. I have tried a mini displayport cable to HDMI to go into a TV and a mini displayport to displayport cable. Any ideas?

bluegrass

Welcome to the this forum.

Are you saying that both monitors and TV fail to work on through two different docs & two different Surfaces but work fine connected to the Surface? Were the two monitors you tried mini port monitor or were you using a miniport adapter? I'm sure you realize by now those mini-port plugs are poorly designed and can be forced in upside down.

All I can tell you is that I attached a DVI monitor via an adapter to my new dock on Friday at work & it worked OK. After work I took the dock home and connected my projector through a mini port to HDMI adapter to the dock and the projector worked fine. So it looks like you have two defective docks, which is highly unlikely. Sorry I can't be of more help.

malberttoo

Is there a driver that has be installed first for the dock to work? I haven't ordered a dock yet, so haven't tried one out.

I believe the OP is saying that the SP3's work fine DisplayPort > monitor, but no video when going Dock > monitor. So, no signal from either SP3, from either dock.

glr

Colavsman - I installed my dock today and encountered the same problem. Also, the peripherals connected via a USB hub were not recognized.

In my case, the SP3 was not properly sitting in the dock. Try removing the keyboard. Without the keyboard, I observed that the device was misaligned in the dock. When the SP3 was correctly mounted in the dock my monitor and peripherals worked fine.

ipaq_101

Lot of ppl have had problems with the display port, a suggestion I have seen is to upgrade the driver of the monitor and that seems to have solved problems with the display port.

I have it hooked to my monitor via hdmi and it works great.

mcsenerd

Hmmm... I came into the office this morning and hooked up my dock. I had zero issue with the MiniDisplay port on the dock itself, but when I tried to use the inboard port at the same time for my other monitor it went crazy... Pinkish display and all kinds of artifacts. Unplugged the inboard MiniDisplay port to hdmi adapter and plugged back in and all was fine. I will say though that driving three monitors (2 external plus internal) was clearly very taxing for the system even without doing much. Complicated PDFs took forever to open, Visio slowed to a virtual crawl, and some visually challenging websites seemed to also suffer. I really love the SP3 form factor and many of the functions...but this thing is begging for something to free it from thermal throttling and poky GPU hades.

malberttoo

Hmmm... I came into the office this morning and hooked up my dock. I had zero issue with the MiniDisplay port on the dock itself, but when I tried to use the inboard port at the same time for my other monitor it went crazy... Pinkish display and all kinds of artifacts. Unplugged the inboard MiniDisplay port to hdmi adapter and plugged back in and all was fine. I will say though that driving three monitors (2 external plus internal) was clearly very taxing for the system even without doing much. Complicated PDFs took forever to open, Visio slowed to a virtual crawl, and some visually challenging websites seemed to also suffer. I really love the SP3 form factor and many of the functions...but this thing is begging for something to free it from thermal throttling and poky GPU hades.

Just curious which processor you have?

Adam Willmouth

I have an i5 and got my surface pro 3 docking station. I have applied the updates to firmware and my display port on the docking station still does not work. It also does not charge my SP3 either. If If I remove the video connector from my docking station and insert directly into SP3 whilst still docked or stand along that works. Not sure what to do right now.

mtalinm

Adam, exactly the same problem here. I hope it is a bad unit, but my SP3 has been such a nightmare I may just revert to SP2.

Adam Willmouth

Adam, exactly the same problem here. I hope it is a bad unit, but my SP3 has been such a nightmare I may just revert to SP2.
Thanks for sharing. If you have any troubleshooting tips you may have found I sure would appreciate any guidance or helpful hints. I may just go back to the Microsoft Store across from my office and let them figure it out.Thanks Adam