What's new

Docking station for Surface Laptop 3

SurfaceRefugee

Hi. First time poster.

I have a Surface Laptop 3 15" and would like to find a well designed docking station for it.

I am considering getting a powered USB hub, but would like something more like this docker that was made for the Surface Laptop 1 and Laptop 2, but there is nothing I can find quite like it for the Laptop 3 .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0899R3T7G?ref_=pe_623860_70668690_dpLink

Wondering what other Surface Laptop 3 owners are doing when then need not only more USB ports but also want to attach a second monitor via HDMI, or use other connections in addition to USB.

Thank you!

Plantje

Looks very nice! Haven't tested it yet.
Just, my advice, don't go for a USB A dock without dedicated video channel

OP
S

SurfaceRefugee

Thanks. What do you mean by dedicated video channel? A VGA or HDMI connector? That's what I'm looking for. Surprised to find that there are so many for the SL2 and SL1 but not the SL3.

Plantje

Exactly! I have had very good experience with a Dell D3100 with my Surface Pro 2017. But I noticed it had impact on system performance and on the image quality on the two 24" screens attached.
So, now I tested the following: KVM Dock - Dual Monitor - 4K - Laptop Docking Stations (startech.com) but it has a similar idea: the video is put on the USB A by the power of the dock and the CPU, not the GPU of your laptop. So, that's why, in my case, a KVM switch with separate video (HDMI in my case) cable was better.

If you're only opting for docking for your Surface Laptop only without the need to attach the dock to other machines I would go for a Surface Dock 2: Voeding & Dock - Microsoft Store

212admin

I bought the Microsoft Surface Dock 2 Black - 199W power supply - Supports dual 4K at 60Hz - 2 x front-facing USB-C - 2 x rear-facing USB-C (Gen 2) . Works good for my needs but not cheap. Onsale right now (3/8/21) at Target.com $167. Huge power supply which is always a plus (most problems stem from weak or bad power supplies). The cheaper usb ones work fine but don't include power supplies. Buying this unit gave me an extra power supply that I now keep in my family room. Works on all my Surface devices including PRO X.

OP
S

SurfaceRefugee

Thanks for the replies. I'm still approaching my Surface Laptop 3 slowly. Not fully adopted it into routine use.

I've been making due with a powered USB hub. Not sure how I feel about having the extra connectors that I would get with a dock also incorporate a power supply. I see the convenience of that for sure. But there may be times when I need an extra USB port, but would prefer to work on battery.

I have some other questions or issues about the SL3 3 but I'll do those in another post.

AMS

I have an HP Envy 360 13" at home right now, and I'm supposed to get (today) an SL3 that will be my office machine. At home, the HP is plugged into a Dell power/adaptor unit via USB-C. My plan is to see if the same unit works with the SL3. It's really quite nice to have everything running off of one cable...

Plantje

The one cable definitely is a huge advantage! Well, until our company moves to VDI I don't need a new Surface Pro device. Working from home it is not an issue to use multiple laptops

AMS

Dell WD19. Works perfectly with my new-to-me Surface Laptop 3. I guess I'll have to get one for the office, too.