What's new

Docking Station Issues with external monitors

bigjay2100

Quick setup that I have in my small office:

4 Surface Pro 3 with the original SP3 docking stations all connected to external monitors - all work perfectly fine

1 Surface Pro 3 with an SP4 docking station connected to (2) monitors by a Mini DisplayPort Active Adapter to a DVI cable - User shuts it off each night but when she doesn't, the displays won't come back on until I fiddle with the unit between undock/redock and restarts

7 Surface Pro 4 with SP4 docking stations all connected to external monitors. All with Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables. All have the same problem. After the screens go black and sit for a bit, the only way to get the external screens up is to undock and redock the tablet.

All units are set to not go to sleep when plugged in and all are completely up to date but I still have the problem with having to undock/redock to get the monitors to kick in. 2 of the SP4's get a bit more wonky as they give fits to the process and I mostly have to restart them to get them to come back up.

Is there something I am missing with this? My SP3's on the original dock all work fine with no problems. It is only units on the new SP4 dock and it is annoying.

Thanks.

In My Humble Opinion your not missing anything. SP Dock, worked for me with my SP3 perfect. Microsoft's newest Dock (SP4) is an unstable waist of money on a SB or SP4. I need to use the DP on the SP to be able to use external monitor, and the ONLY value the DOCK (SP4) is giving me is that I get the Ethernet and a few USB connections.

On other threads there is discussions of a possible firmware update coming, but I have two SP4 Docks, and move between them and they both act as you describe.

OP
B

bigjay2100

Thanks and that really sucks. This is in an office setting so I need the docks for the Ethernet connection, USB ports and support of dual monitors as these are all connected to dual monitors. I had heard there is an update coming out this summer and I hope it fixes it. I would have gone with the same dock as I have with the SP3's but those are hard to come by for a decent price.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Fixes are coming, it is a combination of the Intel Video Drivers and the use of adapters (predominantly). Some of the fixes are in Windows itself, the issue is less prevalent on the Redstone Builds, we are still waiting for a Firmware Update to the SP4 Dock and there is hope that the current Beta Driver from Intel will build better compatibility.

... the current Beta Driver from Intel will build better compatibility.

I really do not want to walk out on the Beta Blade (Bleeding edge can leave scars) BUT, In My Humble Opinion, the display is an important part of a Personal Computer, just saying.....

how unstable are the new Intel Drivers?

OP
B

bigjay2100

I agree, display is a huge part of this and should have been caught in original testing prior to the release of the docking station. A very primary use of a docking station is for external monitors. I would be more than happy to do some beta testing of new drivers to see how well it works. I have 8 devices that are real pains for my end users.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I really do not want to walk out on the Beta Blade (Bleeding edge can leave scars) BUT, In My Humble Opinion, the display is an important part of a Personal Computer, just saying.....

how unstable are the new Intel Drivers?
I'm using the stock drivers for now as I'm running Insider Fast Redstone Builds and Office Insider Builds so I need some level of stability :) But with each driver update they have worked better, but with the beta drivers you are more likely to get Power Management BSOD events...

I agree, display is a huge part of this and should have been caught in original testing prior to the release of the docking station. A very primary use of a docking station is for external monitors. I would be more than happy to do some beta testing of new drivers to see how well it works. I have 8 devices that are real pains for my end users.

New Intel drivers available

This thread has links to the Beta Drivers. I think you need to use only ZIP versions (discuses in the thread) as windows 10's self preservation will prevent the new drivers from installing. This is the reason I did not go there.

OP
B

bigjay2100

So if I install these drivers to one of my SP4's, Windows will not allow them to stick? Am I understanding that correctly?

So if I install these drivers to one of my SP4's, Windows will not allow them to stick? Am I understanding that correctly?

I would HIGHLY recommend that you proceed with caution and read the full thread. You can Load them, and they will stick, but the EXE version will not load as Windows (or at least mine) prevents them from installing. The ZIP version, you have drivers (like ones on a CD from a manufacture) and you tell the Device Manager to use them not the 'recommended ones'... this was too far out on the razor edge for me.