What's new

Docking station please come soon!

Kif

I'm sorely needing the docking station so my SP3 can finally fully replace my trusting Dell desktop. I'm really having fun playing around with my SP3 but it's not complete without my external keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor. Please August 15 come soon!!!!

mcsenerd

I'm waiting for my dock too... With the SP3's incompatibility with Cisco EAP-FAST at the moment... it's a requirement in my office.

Rugbyguy541

I want a dock, but I go between drawing and typing on it to much, and my current living situation doesn't afford me a dedicated space for a monitor, keyboard and what not :(

toaf

the dock is worth it, if not for the fast, easy, charge in the dark cool factor. i hear the SP3 one has 5 USB ports. not enough to make me wane upgrade. but at least all the SP 2 stuff is on sale now a days. I'll get my 3rd docking station soon

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
BTW - The new dock just got much cooler!!!

Summary - both the MDP on the Dock and Device is available when Docked meaning you can use both to get 2 additional monitors using DP Daisy Chaining off one MDP or if your monitors don't support Daisy Chaining you can get two by using both ports.

Also the USB Port on the device is available as well when docked...

http://blog.surface.com/2014/07/surface-pro-3-docking-station-next-leap-productivity/

Very Cool....

Knuck

Summary - both the MDP on the Dock and Device is available when Docked meaning you can use both to get 2 additional monitors using DP Daisy Chaining off one MDP or if your monitors don't support Daisy Chaining you can get two by using both ports.

http://blog.surface.com/2014/07/surface-pro-3-docking-station-next-leap-productivity/

Very Cool....

May be more physical USB ports but still limited to the power bandwidth of one which means the same "out of USB resources" problem as the SP2. Microsoft should have incorporated a second USB port on the SP3 motherboard.

OP
Kif

Kif

Very Cool....

Now they're just teasing me! ;)

mcsenerd

May be more physical USB ports but still limited to the power bandwidth of one which means the same "out of USB resources" problem as the SP2. Microsoft should have incorporated a second USB port on the SP3 motherboard.

The SP3 dock is nothing like the SP1/SP2 dock... I think it'd be wise to wait and see if it will have the same issues or not. It's pretty clear that the additional connectors found around the power connector are going to be used for something...

drolem

Wrong. Both USB and DP port on theSP3 will stay usable after docking, meaning that the extra (and missing) lines in the power connector carry the USB and DP signals.