What's new

Docking station please come soon!

bluegrass

When I get mine, I'll plug in 4 USB-3 2.5" terabyte drives (3 on the dock and the original one on the SP3) and see if I can use them all at the same time getting the so-called resources exceeded message pop up which I've never seen before using a USB hub. I'll give you a report in two weeks (if it arrives on the 15th).

kundas1

But if we start thinking like that, then we could question why pay so much for an sp3 in the first place when you could compromise for cheaper. For the same reason people are spending more on an sp3 instead of a cheap laptop and a cheap tablet, is the convenience it affords. I'm happy to pay a premium for the convenience, however small it might be. Even as a cash strapped soon to be student.

yes but buying a device that you use/need and buying a dock that is just an "accessory" that you can live without and use infrequently are 2 different things, and your right I think the price for the SP3 is too high and still cringe when I think how much this device cost me! lol

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are clearly not the market they are aiming for with a dedicated dock if you are stating you'd use it infrequently. And it is indeed just an optional accessory, so you don't need to buy it. If others, like myself see it as worthy, we will buy it, even if it is a good bit of money. Many of us probably pay a bit more for wireless keyboards and mice when we could just make do with cheaper wired variants for only a tiny bit more inconvenience. Or wireless hard drives instead of just plugging a cable in. Plenty of people have plenty of tastes :) I won't be buying one until I've bought a nas unit. Until I can replace my shuttle with the surface, it doesn't make financial sense to me to buy a dock.

mcsenerd

The type cover is an optional SP3 only accessory too... maybe everyone would be better off buying a universally compatible Bluetooth keyboard and mouse? Somehow I imagine a LARGE majority of consumers purchasing the SP line end up walking out with the "click-in" keyboard cover though...

If you don't like it... don't buy it. If you do... grab it. I'm sure it's going to be a nice accessory for the SP3 no matter what.

suprafly

The type cover works, find for typing on the go however I would recommend a Bluetooth desktop keyboard, for better spacing and travel distance for full fledged long duration typing.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The type cover works, find for typing on the go however I would recommend a Bluetooth desktop keyboard, for better spacing and travel distance for full fledged long duration typing.
For many, other than home or the office a desktop keyboard just isn't viable for taking about, while while away from home or office still need to do some serious typing. Does anyone know how the type cover compares to a portable Bluetooth keyboard which I think would be the real alternative, not something like a dinovo edge or such.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Type Cover 98% of the time, the only time I use a Bluetooth Keyboard is when I'm using the SP3 in Portrait Mode and an extended display...

mcsenerd

I wasn't trying to drag the thread off of the original docking station subject. I only mentioned the Type Cover specifically to make the analogy that it too is device specific like the SP dock, but yet nobody is running around stating that it's silly to buy it because it only works on the SP. I find it and the dock to be rather similar in purchase decision-making personally. I don't begrudge anyone who thinks better of buying either item, but just because they're specifically designed and work with only the SP line doesn't necessarily kill the value of the items IMHO.