What's new

Docking Station Problems

slacko

Periodically when I use the docking station, the light showing that it is connected doesn't come on, and then all the extras that are plugged in don't activate either. I have unplugged everything including power, tried putting the SP3 back in several to no avail.

Always happens when I really need to use it.

Any thoughts?

Tsurugaya

My guess it's that the connector chord and the power port has a glitch or you got dust in there, perhaps try some pressured air to blow it clean?

lonaysta

Try some cleaning/reconnecting steps. If the problem still exists, ask Microsoft for a warranty service.....Neither of my two docking stations shows this kind of problem.

HarnessTech

My docking station started doing weird things recently as well. When I would connect something to USB, the whole thing would freak out -- the external monitor would go off, then back on, then off again, eventually coming back on and staying on. At the same time, other devices would disconnect. After a few tries, I started to realize that it was when I was plugging stuff in or out -- that is, fiddling with the plugs -- that things would go on and off. After I let go of everything, it would settle down and everything would end up on and connected again. I checked power connections, blew canned air into the ports, etc. but eventually chalked it up to a possible hardware issue. It seems like maybe something is loose inside.

Anyway, I chatted with MS support and they are sending me a new one. Funny thing is, they aren't making me return the old one, so I'm thinking I may try tearing it apart to see if it is something I can fix myself. Then I'd have two. :)

glr

[QUOTE="HarnessTech, post: 105709, ...

Anyway, I chatted with MS support and they are sending me a new one. Funny thing is, they aren't making me return the old one, so I'm thinking I may try tearing it apart to see if it is something I can fix myself. Then I'd have two. :)[/QUOTE]

I am experiencing issues to...for the purpose of getting a replacement, does it matter how you purchased the dock initially? That is, does it matter whether you bought the dock from MS online, a MS retail location or a third party such as Best Buy?