What's new

Dockingstation issues

MassDude

@MassDude Confirm same and if you unplug mini DisplayPort from dock then there are no issues? except the fact the external display is not connected or connected directly to SP3 also no issues. Microsoft support contacted me yesterday to work through this issue, I made sure that they understood exactly what the problem was, also at their request a diagnostic package was downloaded and ran, the results of which have been uploaded back to Microsoft for review. I expect to hear back from them today at 13:15PM NZ time hopefully with information on cause and possible resolution. Will advise outcome

Actually, even if I unplug the external monitor from the dock, the same thing happens - first time just have 'Surface' displayed on the screen but nothing happens - 2nd time boots as normal.

ronny5

Actually, even if I unplug the external monitor from the dock, the same thing happens - first time just have 'Surface' displayed on the screen but nothing happens - 2nd time boots as normal.
What about the 3rd time? Microsoft needed more time to review diagnostic information, so I am expecting a support call this afternoon.

MassDude

What about the 3rd time? Microsoft needed more time to review diagnostic information, so I am expecting a support call this afternoon.

So did Microsoft come back with anything? I still have the same thing - when in the dock, the first time you turn the SP3 on you get the 'Surface' logo then nothing happens. Turn it off and then on and it is fine. When not in the dock, it boots up the first time.

ronny5

So did Microsoft come back with anything? I still have the same thing - when in the dock, the first time you turn the SP3 on you get the 'Surface' logo then nothing happens. Turn it off and then on and it is fine. When not in the dock, it boots up the first time.
Confirm same. Microsoft is comparing the report of a 2nd diagnostic with the previous and I am awaiting results on that. I next stage in this process as I understand it will be to boot device from a usb recovery drive to identify status at the point the surface logo sticks.

At the time the system event log shows ACPI event 13 "

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.
"
All firmware and driver are at their latest versions.

I have been pushing this barrow for over 6 weeks now and am finally starting to gain some traction with Microsoft in getting this matter resolved, they seem to have taken ownership of the problem. They acknowledge that there is little information on this issue and are now working with me to resolve, but these things take time. I will post any further significant developments as they come available.

Grimm

same issue here. I do have 6 SP3 with dockingstation. They all show the exact same behaviour. I have to push the powerbutton multiple times since upon starting the SP3 the first time it won't pass the surface logo. Pressing the powerbutton a second time turns it off imidediately. Starting it now will boot it to Windows Logon.

My Setup are Surface Pro 3 incl. Docking Station and almost all port are populated (ekey fingerprint sensor, network, mouse, keyboard external monitor miniDP-->DVI, Blackberry Q10)

Grimm

Are there any news related to this topic? Has Microsoft acknowledged this issue? Currently I am trying to gather some results whether connecting the external display via Mini Displayport on the SPro3. Since I have the devices already rolled out it is a real hassle to get hold of my users and their devices.

Microsoft - what is it that you have done to us?