What's new

Does anyone else think their SP3 might be running a little cooler since the 8/19/14 firmware update?

Zog1971

Hello all. I am an i7, 256 SP3 owner now for about 2 weeks. I have had some issues, but feel like they have been resolved through some fixes on my end, as well as my own overall understanding of how the system works.

So, I may be completely crazy--or perhaps overly hopeful for some sort of enhancements to the SP3 thermal maintenance--but I swear that my SP3 is running much cooler when doing simple web browsing since yesterdays firmware update. I know that this was not on the list of enhancements, but am seeing in other thread that people have noticed some marked decreases in throttling so wondered if this could have been something they looked at. Before the update, I feel that if I had 5 or 6 webpages up and checking emails, if I felt the back of the device in the upper right corner it would at least feel warm. Since the update, in the same scenarios I am feeling the same area and it is actually COOL to the touch. !!!!!! I did fire up some programs that hog the cpu and was able to get her to her warmest place with the fans kicking to high gear, but I feel that in normal usage my SP3 is running completely cool to the touch, which it wasn't before. It wasn't at all uncomfortable, just could feel warmth. Now, I'm not. (Although, she still got VERY warm when doing the cpu intensive tasks--not too hot too handle, but very warm as it had before the update.)

Again, it could be a combo of past tweaks and my imagination. Has anyone else experienced this?

OP
Zog1971

Zog1971

Hmmm........how do I edit the thread title? It's not letting me.

THINK. Does anyone else THINK their SP3...... :)

mohcho

Does anyone know if the updates are cumulative? I just replaced my SP3 and the update history only shows the system firmware update from 08/19. Do I have to go back and install the updates from June and July, or are they automatically included in the 08/19 update if the system never had a previous one?

malberttoo

Does anyone know if the updates are cumulative? I just replaced my SP3 and the update history only shows the system firmware update from 08/19. Do I have to go back and install the updates from June and July, or are they automatically included in the 08/19 update if the system never had a previous one?

I don't think all updates have the previous updates as well. But if your SP3 is new, then it probably shipped with all updates to that point, applied already.

My guess anyways.

kristalsoldier

Cooler? I don't know. My i5 has been extremely well behaved in that respect. But I think the device has become a bit more smoother. Rather difficult to explain. Could be a placebo thing. But I swear it feels that way. I get the same feeling about the battery too. All this after the most recent (out of turn) update.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think all updates have the previous updates as well. But if your SP3 is new, then it probably shipped with all updates to that point, applied already.

My guess anyways.
A firmware is usually a monolithic chunk of code and the latest version is the *one*.

Not sure about cooler although I'm experiencing an anomaly with Graphics draining the battery during sleep so once that gets resolved I hope to get back to normal. We shall see.

Last edited: