What's new

Does anyone elses stylus randomly stop working?

macmee

It's the most annoying thing ever when I'm in class trying to take notes.

Randomly the stylus wont work and I don't know how to fix it. It randomly starts working after about 10 minutes of waiting. Reboots don't seem to fix it.

drolem

Try taking notes without the cover attached, or if you need the cover, try a detach/re-attach cycle.

GoodBytes

I have no problem in class or anywhere where the pen stops working. I do have screen protector as well.
I have the Type Cover 2.
My Surface Pro 2 is fully updated.

It could be either the pen that is faulty or the digitizer.

Korlon

I've had some issues with my stylus a couple of weeks ago. Once I detached my type cover and the stylus stopped working, another time all I did was switch apps.
What I did to correct the issue was go into the services and restart the Wacom service. Use the search function from the right side of the screen, search for services and scroll down the services window highlight Wacom service and click restart. It worked for me both times and ever since it hasn't reoccurred.

You might have to recalibrate the stylus afterwards.
Hope this helps.

OP
macmee

macmee

I've had some issues with my stylus a couple of weeks ago. Once I detached my type cover and the stylus stopped working, another time all I did was switch apps.
What I did to correct the issue was go into the services and restart the Wacom service. Use the search function from the right side of the screen, search for services and scroll down the services window highlight Wacom service and click restart. It worked for me both times and ever since it hasn't reoccurred.

You might have to recalibrate the stylus afterwards.
Hope this helps.

Nice idea, I'll give this a go next time it happens.

Mine hasn't done that trick yet, hope it doesn't start -- has yours always done that?

No, it recently started doing it. I hadn't installed any new software or updates or anything.

BY THE WAY: it also occurred to me that the next time it breaks, I can open mspaint and take notes in that until the stylus begins to work again. This would be the most sketchy fix for a software issue that I've ever had to resort to :p

Last edited:

Korlon

In control panel, under hardware and sound go to tablet pc settings and there is a calibrate screen for pen and touch option.

Joypat

I had the same problem in OneNote with my stylus suddenly not working but my eraser worked on my stylus! Very weird indeed but a restart of my SP2 (128GB, type2cover) solved it for now. Not sure what triggered it.

OP
macmee

macmee

I had the same problem in OneNote with my stylus suddenly not working but my eraser worked on my stylus! Very weird indeed but a restart of my SP2 (128GB, type2cover) solved it for now. Not sure what triggered it.

No such luck here, nothing registers :(