What's new

Does anyone else's touch keyboard sometimes stop working until you unhook it?

macmee

I want to know if this is a software issue before I waste Microsoft's time and money getting a hardware exchange.

I'd say about once every 5 minutes of heavy use, the keyboard (but not mouse) becomes unresponsive.

Fortunately I can unhook and hook it back in and it works, though this is slightly annoying.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Mine occasionally does this, but if yours is doing it every 5 minutes it seems excessive....this was an early issue that was fixed but seems to have re-surfaced after the March Cover Firmware Updates...

OP
macmee

macmee

Mine occasionally does this, but if yours is doing it every 5 minutes it seems excessive....this was an early issue that was fixed but seems to have re-surfaced after the March Cover Firmware Updates...

That's what I thought too. I did the 2 step software reset (or whatever it's called) and I thought it was fixed, though it came back after another update. Not the March update though, as I never got it.

I setup an exchange for the keyboard. Hopefully it's hardware related and I'm not causing Microsoft to through away a perfectly good keyboard.

munakib

I used to have this issue on Windows8.1, it hasnt happened since I started running OSX so there has to be a software solution.

OP
macmee

macmee

I used to have this issue on Windows8.1, it hasnt happened since I started running OSX so there has to be a software solution.

Do you have wifi? How is battery life? I wouldn't mind giving OS X a go if it fixes this problem. I could just boot into it when I need to do extensive typing.

kristalsoldier

Yeah...same experience as Jeff...recently - say for the past three or four months - it has been quite stable. And, your (@macmee) experience with the KB becoming non-responsive that frequently is certainly excessive.

cdf3

Happens to me as well. Not too often though. Disconnecting it, and reconnecting it again fixes the issue.

Hstakz

M$ have BILLIONS! in the bank and I don't think them throwing away one $100 keyboard is going to effect them too much ;)

EMINENT

I've found that this happens because it doesn't recognize it being not folded back. If I bring it back front and close it for a second, it works again.

al2fast

I have had it happen a few times where I've tried to use the mouse on the keyboard and it was unresponsive and then I unhook it and hook it back up and it works.