What's new

Does Anyone Really Care About the Start Menu?

J515OP

Super Moderator
:wink:

Obviously the Start button is a deeply personal issue. Like so many deeply personal issues there is clearly a right and wrong answer as to its inclusion in Windows (personally I am Start button agnostic and think it may or may not be included ;)) Whatever the reasons for MS's choices, our choices are very simple.

1) Adapt and learn to work in the environment provided. Learn a couple of new gestures and key combos.
2) Make changes to the environment to suit your preferences. Put the start button back, stay in desktop, use third party alternatives.
3) Choose not to use the environment at all. Don't buy or upgrade to Windows 8.

Of course if you don't like any of those choices one can always go with the L.C.D. fallback option. Continue on with what you dislike but throw your arms up in the air, declare conspiracies and demand that the world changes to suit you. This of course will lead to the ultimate power of having your cake and eating it too :)

Henceforth I shall respond to all complaints and lack of tolerance for the disenfranchisement of the Start button in Windows with the simple refrain: "Put it back then." With this simple action an individual may grant the Start button with equality of inclusion, reprise from obsolescence and an endurance of fondness.

:wink:

tonyz3

For those whinny start button enthusiasts.:wink: This seems like a good alternative to the missing start button- which is more touch friendly and best of all FREE. [video=youtube;6G7pr-vpDWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7pr-vpDWE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

J515OP

Super Moderator
well it sounds like a nice compromise for the start button might be on the horizon. Here's how the new Windows Blue Start Button may work | ZDNet Again i could care less either way as i am happy with the current start screen. I am more looking forward to the adj snapped view. And i hope the ability to snap on multiple monitors can become a reality.

Start Button = yawn. This doesn't change anything for me and is useless. I would rather have Start screen folders that a Start "button" which is really just a different view of the the Start screen.

Snap view = hooray. Yes, a feature that actually does something useful. I will get a million times more use out of a 50% snap screen than a start button or common back ground image.

Blue is all about the new features not the old ones ;)

mitchellvii

Just saw a video of the new treatment of the Start Button. Not as good as having the Windows 7 Start Menu back but a big improvement. Having the Start Page use the same wallpaper as the desktop is a simple yet smart solution. The User doesn't feel like they are leaving the desktop so it is less jarring.

tonyz3

Yep I agree the new wall paper option will probably the most effective option visually. It is so jarring switching currently and this should fix that

whitneymr

My God you pro-Windows 8 people are becoming as big of snobs as Apple fanboys. I just bought a SurfacePro because everyone said that Win8 was a decent tablet OS, better than it is a desktop OS. Well I keep a keyboard attached all the time and do everything possible to stay out of that design Hell that is Modern UI. Yes I installed a Windows 7 type start menu ASAP also. Just to prove Win8 is a fail MicroCenter in Denver can't keep Windows7 discs in stock and Windows 8 discs are always available. Sounds like people are voting with their wallets here.
Oh time will tell by who much iOS and Linux use goes up this year.

mitchellvii

I'll be the first to admit I never cared about the Start Button. I was drunk and the bar was closing and one thing lead to another. I said I'd call but I never did.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

My God you pro-Windows 8 people are becoming as big of snobs as Apple fanboys. I just bought a SurfacePro because everyone said that Win8 was a decent tablet OS, better than it is a desktop OS. Well I keep a keyboard attached all the time and do everything possible to stay out of that design Hell that is Modern UI. Yes I installed a Windows 7 type start menu ASAP also. Just to prove Win8 is a fail MicroCenter in Denver can't keep Windows7 discs in stock and Windows 8 discs are always available. Sounds like people are voting with their wallets here.
Oh time will tell by who much iOS and Linux use goes up this year.

Modern UI has many positive attributes as a Mobile UI (compared to Android and iOS); however, as a Desktop solution it's clumsy and unintuitive which is the point of Windows 8.1. It will improve the experience for tablet users but it's primary mission is to make Windows 8 more palatable for Desktop users.

We'll see if it succeeds.

N.G.

Just spent 2.5 hours fixing a neighbor's non-touch Win 8 laptop. What a pain in the butt. You can't get to a lot of stuff without arcane keystrokes and cursor positioning over invisible places. Had figure out how to stick desktop, control panel and other tiles to the start screen by keyboard just to do the task. The inactive cr&pware credit card seeking antivirus and backup software HP installed inactivated his WiFi when it uninstalled. You can't start Windows Defender by typing it at the start screen, and it isn't obvious in control panel. Same thing with system restore. Without touch Win 8 is way too schizophrenic and non hierarchical, so yes, a start button is needed.