What's new

Does Anyone Really Care About the Start Menu?

tonyz3

Do those people realize those OS's don't have the start button either and are even more different than W8 is? They're not willing to make a minor change to W8 but are willing to make a major to Apple?
My Grand pop who had an expression for everything. His favorite was "go pound salt" but he would probably say to this one-- " Biting off your nose to spite your face"

pallentx

Do those people realize those OS's don't have the start button either and are even more different than W8 is? They're not willing to make a minor change to W8 but are willing to make a major to Apple?

HA! Yes, Windows 8 is a lot closer to Windows 7 than OSX.

mitchellvii

Well, I suppose now that Windows 8.1 Preview is out the answer to the original question posed in the OP is a resounding YES.

Tully

I hate OUTLOOK.I don't want & don't need all the crap that goes with OUTLOOK.
When I want the internet I want to get IE, not OUTLOOK.

When I want mail, I want to click on "MAIL" & get MAIL, not "OUTLOOK".
In "MAIL" I can click on an attachment & print it in WORD. In Outlook I have to choose from a list of choices, non of which will just print to WORD.

When I receive an attachment, I just goto the DESKTOP, click on Mail & print the attachment to Word.

Tully

pallentx

But they call it a "Start Button" and right clicking it does give you a menu, so yes, the Start Menu IS back.

lol, that's the same menu you got on 8.0 when you right click the Start Screen button. Seriously, nothing changed, but a Windows logo added in the corner. You could have added that to the corner of your desktop wallpaper and achieved the same thing in 8.0.

I really hope, however, that this makes all the people who were upset about the start menu happy. If adding a simple Windows logo graphic does that, it will be totally worth it. Personally, I would rather have a button to open charms. On the desktop, that's the hardest thing about the new UI for me.

Last edited:

pallentx

I hate OUTLOOK.I don't want & don't need all the crap that goes with OUTLOOK.
When I want the internet I want to get IE, not OUTLOOK.

When I want mail, I want to click on "MAIL" & get MAIL, not "OUTLOOK".
In "MAIL" I can click on an attachment & print it in WORD. In Outlook I have to choose from a list of choices, non of which will just print to WORD.

When I receive an attachment, I just goto the DESKTOP, click on Mail & print the attachment to Word.

Tully

I'm the same way. I'm not an Outlook power user and I prefer the charms bar integration of the regular mail app. Thankfully, in 8.1, you can uninstall, or just ignore Outlook if you want. Its not a requirement, just an option if you want it.

mitchellvii

lol, that's the same menu you got on 8.0 when you right click the Start Screen button. Seriously, nothing changed, but a Windows logo added in the corner. You could have added that to the corner of your desktop wallpaper and achieved the same thing in 8.0.

I really hope, however, that this makes all the people who were upset about the start menu happy. If adding a simple Windows logo graphic does that, it will be totally worth it. Personally, I would rather have a button to open charms. On the desktop, that's the hardest thing about the new UI for me.

Well for being "nothing" it sure gave the whole tech community wood, so...

It's kind of like the first time you get into a car that starts with pushing a button rather than turning a key. Sure, maybe the button is a good idea but it just seems weird somehow. As with most things in life, it is the small changes that make all the difference.

Also, as silly as it seems, having the Desktop Wallpaper persist on the Start Page really improves the feel of the experience.

Last edited:

tonyz3

Also, as silly as it seems, having the Desktop Wallpaper persist on the Start Page really improves the feel of the experience.
I agree this really makes a diff. I do like the option of the outlook 2013 on the RT. Hopefully they figure out how to allow addin. I have a few marketing softwares that i can not live without. I hope they expand on the larger tile size maybe even a bigger size to take up the whole column, would be great to see a bunch of emails and scroll thru them or cal or even twitter feeds. etc. I know you can do this else where but a quick look from the start screen is a good "OPTION" to have. They also need to add some options like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles to the charms bar. Still working on my VHD for the pro and should be able to test out 2 ext monitors this weekend.

tonyz3

This guy is just one more loud mouth baby with a type writer. either way he had a story to write - 1 complain about the type of start button they provided, 2 say MS caved if they brought back the old start button and menu, or 3 complain if MS did nothing about the start button. BUT i do love the old uncle comparison. reminds me of my grandpa and his favorite chair. He had this really old chair he like to watch his shows in with a giant pile of news papers he would read next to it. Than one day we surprised him while he was out and got him a brand new chair and cleaned up the news papers. Put both of them in the garage to get ready for garbage pick up. The next day i went over to his house to see how he liked the chair and to help him take the old chair and news papers out to the curb for trash. When i got there i saw the chair with a tarp over it out by the curb and he was standing in the doorway. As I walked thru the door I said gramps your are 80 why didn't you wait for me to help you bring the chair out to the curb. With a smile on his face he said "Thats not my old chair" and proceeded to walk in the living room sit down in his old chair and grab a news paper from the old pile of news paper that was back next to it. Than said" The store is coming to pick up and take the new chair back in an hour":smile: