What's new

Does anyone run linux?

macmee

For software development purposes I cannot run Windows all the time and need something unix based (preferably as similar to debian as possible). Does anyone directly run linux on their surface or know if some sort of battery friendly vm exists?

New2ToMe

I am a retired developer (about 40-years at a keyboard) and have an SP2 running VMware Player. Not sure how battery friendly it is, but , the first thing I do with most software is to use WireShark and watch what it does after installation and during general running. Then I go to the Router and block any/all calls to the Software's-home. I use dd-wrt on my routers and "Drop" the CDIR in the Firewall.

Player specifically does a LOT of calling home so it is frequently very busy in the background. You could also check the TaskManager for CPU% use instead of using WireShark but then you would still need to know the IPs being requested.

Another thing I have found is that when using a second screen, it is FAR better to use the Display Port of the Surface rather than any Port replicator thingy (Dock etc) that uses DisplayLink drivers. The amount of continuous hard drive activity by DL 1.3 (current version) is shocking to say the least.

It all eats battery.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious, not that the activity level is a good thing, but why run on battery while docked?

New2ToMe

Just curious, not that the activity level is a good thing, but why run on battery while docked?

Laziness maybe?

I wrote, "dock etc" as I don't use a real dock, I have a 7-port USB-hub for network, keyboard, mouse, extra display etc so the battery is only charging when I also plug in the power. Having seen the excessive SSD wear by the DisplayLink driver, I removed the 29" LCD from the USB-hub and now plug in an HDMI adapter to the Display Port. That means three cables to plug in. Think "Big Picture" when I write stuff. :)

Sometimes I can't be bothered with the wriggling the stupid power connector into place if I am only going to be online for ten minutes, so I leave it to the battery to power the thing. Otherwise, I usually only plug it in to charge overnight. If I am going to be on the SP2 for hours - and in the office then of course I plug it in. I have several power supplise around the house for other times too.

It is a pity that msoft didn't get that connector right until the SP3. That little blade makes all the difference.