What's new

does chrome windows 8 mode drain less battery?

hd94

i am using IE metro after being told that chrome eats up a lot of battery. while everything went well, there's some website that doesn't work well with metro IE. Furthermore, at some webpage the surface's fan will run crazy and the cpu power will jump to 50% or more.
i miss many of chrome's features, addons etc and really want to switch back to it. But the battery draining is still a big concern for me. has google fixed them in windows 8 mode chrome?
also, how can we track each program's battery consumption?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
i am using IE metro after being told that chrome eats up a lot of battery. while everything went well, there's some website that doesn't work well with metro IE. Furthermore, at some webpage the surface's fan will run crazy and the cpu power will jump to 50% or more.
i miss many of chrome's features, addons etc and really want to switch back to it. But the battery draining is still a big concern for me. has google fixed them in windows 8 mode chrome?
also, how can we track each program's battery consumption?
Windows 8 Mode for Chrome is just a UI overlay (not even WinRT or XAML), underneath it still the same Win32 Application, so no it will have the same impact on the battery as Chrome Desktop.

kundas1

although Chome is more of a resource hog compared to IE, I think chrome has toned it down a bit so it isn't as bad as it USED to be, but with that said even though you use chrome it will still run into the same problems as IE regarding to some web pages not working properly because MOST web pages are not made for the touch interface meaning they are badly coded and put together... as for tracking which program consumes what, I think resource monitor is a good choice.. others might be able to chime in and tell you a better app/program for that...