What's new

Does microSD 256GB or any other higher than 128GB is supported?

joell85

Currently there are no legitimate cards with capacities these high. I would be very skeptical of any card above 128GB the highest legitimate card I know of is 200GB and these are not scheduled for release until Q4.

leeshor

Someone on another forum bought one. When it wouldn't work, (it was extremely slow) it was suggested he call the manufacturer and they confirmed they didn't make any 256GB MSD cards, (yet). He swore it looked legit.

fletch33

when such a monster is available i will say that it has been my experience that when devices are released they always state "up to ###GB" as working but as my devices get older and larger capacity cards come out they have always worked. i have devices that when released stated 32gb and work with 128GB.

until the overall format changes anything that is legit should work.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) format, announced in January 2009 and defined in version 3.01 of the SD specification, supports cards up to 2 TB (2048GB), compared to a limit of 32GB for SDHC cards in the SD 2.0 specification. SDXC adopts Microsoft's exFAT file system as a mandatory feature.

However I wonder if the controller chips have the ability to address the full capacity. I wouldn't be surprised if chipsets do not implement full 2 TB addressability or much if any beyond the current size on the market.

Last edited:

fletch33

You could skip the slow MicroSD nonsense and just upgrade your SSD to 1TB and be done with it: http://surfacepro3ssdupgrade.blogspot.mx/2015/02/surface-pro-3-ssd-upgrade-i7-with-1-tb.html

:D

but really i dont see how this matters for "extra" storage? all i put on my 128GB MicroSD is music and pics so if they made a 500GB MicroSD for me personally 256GB SSD internal is more than enough for my speed required files and the 500GB MicroSD would just be for simple storage.