What's new

Does the reveal of the new Surface 3 mean a longer wait for the Surface Pro 4?

tat3406

Yeah that's true... no one's going to buy one of these and be disappointed, as it's still going to run all the same apps at its bigger brother. I think the Surface Pro 4 will come out along side Windows 10, that'd really make sense and make them both shine together.

Agree. SP4 and SP3 will have similar hardware spec, but come in Windows 10.

kundas1

even tho this will run full windows, I still think this will confuse people between the pro and non pro...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
even tho this will run full windows, I still think this will confuse people between the pro and non pro...
Confusion will arise if analysts want it to. However if MS marketing defines a message and communicates it there should be no confusion, on the other hand if they sit back and let analysts or whoever control the message there will be confusion. A good lawyer can confuse even the simplest of things, deliberately and there are many who will do the same with this given half a chance.

CrippsCorner

But the question is, does it matter? It performs the same tasks, so I don't see any difference between buying a lower spec PC and a higher spec PC.

ScottyS

Confusion will arise if analysts want it to. However if MS marketing defines a message and communicates it there should be no confusion, on the other hand if they sit back and let analysts or whoever control the message there will be confusion. A good lawyer can confuse even the simplest of things, deliberately and there are many who will do the same with this given half a chance.
Actually, those who do not understand the difference between an S3 and SP3 will understand $499 and for them that's a great deal.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

I don't know, I think this will just end up confusing people again just like the RT did...
I admit that I had the same gut reaction...then I paused and realized that consumers are already accustomed to choosing amongst various models within the same brand.

I don't know whether it is Apple or "something in the air" that has all of a sudden caused us to "panic" when we see multiple offerings within a single brand, but in the case of the Surface line, I really believe this has now simplified things for the average consumer.

Putting aside that any skilled (or unskilled, for that matter) salesperson can make an unsuspecting consumer buy the wrong product, with all things being equal, now the consumer sees "Surface" and "Surface Pro" and I'm sure most would conclude that the Pro version offers something "more." Then the next question would be, "Well what's the difference between the two?" This is where it becomes easy to describe the Pro version as the one for heavy-duty workstation computing such as development, multimedia creation/editing, etc. and the non-Pro version as a lower-end version that will--at best--run the same applications, but only slower.

The bottom line is that at least the Windows consumer is now going to select a Surface model essentially based on his/her "horsepower computing" needs; this is exactly what he/she has been doing with traditional laptop/desktop PCs. With Surface RT, on the other hand, even if the consumer's horsepower computing requirements were light but consisted of regular Windows applications, then--if they were skilled or lucky to encounter the right salesperson--they were able to purchase the right Surface model for their needs. We all know that this was not the case and many bought Surface RTs only to eventually meet disappointment and frustration because they could not run/install their old apps.

So now that everything is Intel-based, the consumer just has to choose the Surface model with the computing power that meets his/her needs; something that he/she has already been doing even before the Surface or iPad were on the market.

malberttoo

I agree with this 100%. Microsoft must define a clear message, and they must be relentless in telling it.

CrippsCorner

Putting aside that any skilled (or unskilled, for that matter) salesperson can make an unsuspecting consumer buy the wrong product, with all things being equal, now the consumer sees "Surface" and "Surface Pro" and I'm sure most would conclude that the Pro version offers something "more." Then the next question would be, "Well what's the difference between the two?" This is where it becomes easy to describe the Pro version as the one for heavy-duty workstation computing such as development, multimedia creation/editing, etc. and the non-Pro version as a lower-end version that will--at best--run the same applications, but only slower.

It can't be that hard can it... Surface Vs Surface Pro, remember the Apple line up now has exactly the same! MacBook Vs MacBook Pro (and of course the MacBook Air as well) all of which do the same, just with varying power :)

Nuspieds

It can't be that hard can it... Surface Vs Surface Pro, remember the Apple line up now has exactly the same! MacBook Vs MacBook Pro (and of course the MacBook Air as well) all of which do the same, just with varying power :)
Yep...especially when you have just two models, one entry-level and the other top-of-the-line. Simple, if you ask me.