What's new

Does your SP6 throttle down to 400MHz and stay there?

Turbo4AWD

Maybe that's the cause of my Surface Pro freezing for 30 seconds occasionally and then responding again in the past? Update 1903 has fixed this issue for me though.

Turbo4AWD

I tried to see if I could mimic the behavior that a user experienced in a youtube video I watched of the issue occurring and could not. His machine was REALLY SLOWING DOWN. I immediately thought to myself "....yeah, my Surface Pro 6 NEVER does that while I am using it and STAYS that way or requires a reboot to fix...."

Regardless, hopefully Microsoft comes out with a patch QUICK! I would be VERY frustrated with that situation if it was occurring on my Surface Pro 6.

tuchas

uhhh...it has happened to me lately. If you have it connected to the dock upon boot up, sometimes it's slow as hell. The only remedy is to shut down and then reboot, albeit disconnected to the dock. After you reconnect the dock it's fine, but still, this is a known problem.

Turbo4AWD

uhhh...it has happened to me lately. If you have it connected to the dock upon boot up, sometimes it's slow as hell. The only remedy is to shut down and then reboot, albeit disconnected to the dock. After you reconnect the dock it's fine, but still, this is a known problem.

I have a docking station and will try shutting down while connected to the dock, then while still connected to the dock, power back up and see if I witness the 400mhz throttle. Since the slowdown is QUITE noticeable, I should be able to tell visually before opening the performance tab in task manager. I'll report back with results.

Turbo4AWD

Ok, I have been running off of the Surface Pro docking station all night tonight and nothing yet. Currently I have shutdown completely, then powered back up and still get more than 400mhz speed. I also have just done regular reboots and nothing is affected there either. I am going to try either sleep mode or hibernate and see if that causes a massive drop in processor speed for me. I am currently on the latest 1903 build of Windows 10 and apparently needed to update some drivers for the Surface dock earlier tonight, but so far so good. I will report back with an update.

Henry L

Same issue here. Surface Pro 6 i5 experiences random permanent slowdown when connected to the dock. Only a hard reboot fixes it. I have reinstalled windows 10 and done updates, not installed any extra software and still have the problem. When connected solely to the supplied power brick, I have no issues. Definitely seems like an issue between the dock and the SP6.

Guess I spoke too soon. Just noticed the slowdown has happened even with the stock power adapter. DAMN!!

Last edited:

oldschool1

YES!
I'm stuck at 0.40
I'm still reading to see how to proceed!

Attachments

• zero point four zero.jpg
    zero point four zero.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 509

oldschool1

M'kay.
Microsoft told me to download and run the
Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.
I'm posting as I go incase my machine goes !@#$ up.
Running.

oldschool1

It's
Checking for updates
"Your Surface is up to date"
System repair is about to begin
Repairing system
Checking your service and fixing apps
Fixing Windows
System has been repaired
Cleanup Components Store ✔
Touch Driver Repair ✔
Restore System Health ✔
Repair System File Corruption ✔
Now testing Touch: touch coverage
(seven or so more tests later)
The diagnostic noticed that the batter was below 30%
I'm given the choices of
Request repair
Chat with Microsoft support
Answer desk
I'm selecting repair.
Thanks for reading this far.

oldschool1

A chat with Microsoft and a remote control session and a bunch of driver up dates and even a one hour memory check, and I'm still stuck at 0.40 Ghz.