What's new

Don't let this be you - Create Recovery Image on SSD

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If found a post by Colorado with a link to a format utility that returned my SD to it's full capacity!

WHEW!
If you use your SDXC to make a recovery image, drive. However, it will likely be reformatted to a fraction of its specified capacity. When you decide to return your SDXC card to normal service, you cannot use the Windows built-in Format options to return it to original (like my SanDisk 128GB), but instead use the SD Formatter free formatter from here. This utility will return it to the maximum possible capacity.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SD Cards have a secret security zone...
The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card.​
Hmmm, Do I have to call the NSA Edward Snowden for that? :)
Pretty sketchy for a "Standard Feature", anyone have the inside scoop on this?

r0b123

Glad all is well Sharp! I had a similar scenario around the holidays but only backed up every now and then. After reading this, I'm now backing up and creating a new recovery image for that rainy day. I use OneDrive and GoogleDrive as double duty.

Alex_SP3

SD Cards have a secret security zone...
The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card.​
Hmmm, Do I have to call the NSA Edward Snowden for that? :)
Pretty sketchy for a "Standard Feature", anyone have the inside scoop on this?

Actually, I never gave this stuff a second thought. I have seen this with all of my SD cards. None of them have the complete stated total and when I looked into the first one found that it was some kind of manufacturer's thing.

Kif

I bought a 64 GB card to create a backup partition and to use to the rest of the space to backup specific files. Now I'm thinking it was a mistake since the tool will only create a 32 GB formatted partition. Am I missing something here?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Not much money overspent there, @Kif . As the OS size grows, I expect the 32 GB limit to be exceeded in the future, and you will be ready.

kontrol1

I have cloned my sp3 C drive using macrium reflect and have a macrium boot disk (usb). Would it work in the above scenario or would I be in trouble?

Thx!