What's new

Don't Want Split Screen

Rayzen

I have a Surface 3, running Windows 10 Home.

Having the split screen makes everything so small that it's hard to read, so I would like to have a normal, single-screen to look at, when surfing the net. How do I do this?; i.e., How do I turn off the default that now seems to exist on my Surface?

I have done the following, but the problem persists: Windows button-> Settings->Multitasking->Snap->Turned off every button (all four of them)->closed everything. However, as already stated, nothing changes.

I know that many people love having three or four small windows running simultaneously on their Surface tablet, but, for me, it's not what I want. Any ideas?

Plantje

Can you post a screen shot? Getting rid of the split screen should be as simple as clicking the "maximize" button when not in tablet mode. When in tablet mode just drag the bar separating the two screens either to the right or left.

OP
R

Rayzen

Hi Plantje, thanks for the answer to my question. I didn't even know there was a "tablet" vs. "desktop" mode, because it's actually not my computer; I'm helping my son, who is even more computer illiterate than me...which is hard to do.

So what's the deal with those two different modes? Why do two modes exist? There must be an advantage to each, depending upon the user's needs, but I don't know what those are.

My son just wants to use his Surface in such a way as to see all of the windows open up in a full-screen view, and not have to mess around with constantly dragging the edges of windows. I know it's not really a huge deal, but rather just a constant annoyance that would be nice to eliminate. So, as you can probably tell, there isn't anything really wrong with the computer; as they say, it's just 'operator trouble.'

Thanks again for your help.

Plantje

Hi,

First of all: hit the Windows button (which will take you to the start screen or open the start menu) and type "get started". You will find an app that helps you understand Windows 10 a lot better! (I am currently in the train and the app on my Surface 3 is telling me only to connect to the internet. Let me know if you run into the same issue)
It will tell you all about tablet mode and desktop mode, why the modes exist and when to use which. It will also tell you about "continuum" (a feature to switch between the modes automatically when the type cover is detached or put to the back of the Surface)

When does your son have the split screens? I am currently looking at Edge in full screen just like on a normal desktop. There was no need to drag the bar or maximize the Edge browser.