What's new

Double tap screen to wake up from sleep.

With my previous SP2, if it went to "sleep" mode after a preset timeout, I was able to wake it up by double tapping the screen. If I "forced" it to sleep (by pressing the power button), I'd need to press the power button again to wake it up.

Now with my new SP2, I have to press the power button to wake it up. Double tapping doesn't do it.
Do you notice the same thing with your tablet?

mennogreg

Is it possible the device wasn't asleep then, in the previous instance? Are you sure it just wasn't the screen that was off? I would figure this wouldn't be a feature, as I imagine carrying it around in your hand when sleeping would repeatedly wake it up.

MickeyLittle

With my previous SP2, if it went to "sleep" mode after a preset timeout, I was able to wake it up by double tapping the screen. If I "forced" it to sleep (by pressing the power button), I'd need to press the power button again to wake it up.

Now with my new SP2, I have to press the power button to wake it up. Double tapping doesn't do it.
Do you notice the same thing with your tablet?

I've never tried double tapping the screen but it sounds like your tablet was in sleep mode before and is now going into hibernation mode. You may can straighten this out in your power settings.

MickeyLittle

Is it possible the device wasn't asleep then, in the previous instance? Are you sure it just wasn't the screen that was off? I would figure this wouldn't be a feature, as I imagine carrying it around in your hand when sleeping would repeatedly wake it up.

I think the OP is talking about how the device is set to go to sleep automatically after say 3 minutes when you are on battery or 10 minutes when you are plugged in to electricity. I have just never double tapped the screen to wake it. I've clicked my bt mouse, clicked the windows button on the keyboard, and tapped the windows button on the device itself and those usually work very well for me.

mennogreg

Ah, ok. Double tapping to wake the computer from sleep has never been a feature of mine, even before the botched firmware. My power save mode used to be set to go to sleep after 10 minutes (screen turn off in 5), and I would occasionally lose track of time and tap the screen repeatedly mistakenly think the screen was just off (but it was asleep), and it never "woke" from that state unless I pressed the home button, power button, etc.

eelpout

No, this isn't a Nokia Lumia nor a Moto X phone. ;)

I'd suspect your device isn't really sleeping if you wake it by tapping the screen. Check your event logs for ID 42, that will tell you all your sleep events. Look for "System Idle" in the description to see if your idle timer is working.