What's new

Downgrade Firmware?

thimetolive

So after installing the Dec firmware, like many of you, I am having major hibernation issues. It doesn't seem to ever hibernate and when I come back to my SP2 after an hour or so it is VERY hot and the battery is drained. This is one of the many issues I've had with the SP2 but I want to make sure I've explored all options before I throw in the towel and exchange it for a Yoga Pro 2.

Can I downgrade to the previous firmware without doing a complete reinstall? For some reason I only have 1 restore point which is well after the upgrade. So that's no help. Do I have any other options? Thanks!

OP
T

thimetolive

Interesting. I downloaded the package and I see a FW folder, which I assume is the firmware. However, I have no idea how to initiate the install. Ideas anyone?

reach

I tried changing the "Firmware" - whatever that is. A normal PC doesn't have this. Mine didn't take the driver, it said the best one is already in use.
So I just reverted to the previous one.
Don't know the exact english terms but I'll try:

right click the Start Button in Desktop mode
manage device
Device Management
Firmware
doubleclick one item under Firmware
Tab: Driver
"previous driver"

good luck.
I did it, but can't say yet, if it's solved, it doesn't happen always here.

OP
T

thimetolive

Great find! I only rolled back the Embedded Controller for now because I saw several errors with the EC in the event log. After the roll back I restarted and checked for updates and the 12/10 firmware update shows up. I have disabled auto updates so it doesn't install again. Crossing my fingers that this solves the problem.

Thanks reach!

OP
T

thimetolive

Ugh. Woke up to a dead battery this morning. I read on another forum that disabling sleep and going straight to hibernate solves this issue. Im going to try this until a fix comes out because shutting down every time is a pain.

reach

I called MS Support today. The guy didn't immediately confirm that there is a massive Driver/FW issue, but he knew what I meant.
He recommended this and that but also asked, if I'd like a replacement. I did. So now a new one is on the way.
Obviously the new one will amke no difference, but 1) MS should pay for this unbelievable mess and 2) I've put mine in a pocket next to clothes (fan outlets blocked). It didn't turn off, so was on for 2hrs and burning hot and fans @100%, when I took it out. For sure this doesn't enhance lifetime, so a new one is just right.

What pisses me off even more is that they'll really wait for next month's patch day to fix this (if only!).
This issue affects ALL SP2s. The only own-hardware device MS makes. I would have expected a fix after a few hours, maybe 2 days. But a month?!??!?!?

oion

What pisses me off even more is that they'll really wait for next month's patch day to fix this (if only!).
This issue affects ALL SP2s. The only own-hardware device MS makes. I would have expected a fix after a few hours, maybe 2 days. But a month?!??!?!?

Well, Microsoft also makes the Surface 2. There don't seem to be user reports pointing to problems on that platform.

Uh, hours? Even days? This isn't an MMO where you might expect the devs to hotfix a PvP exploit, you know. This is firmware we're talking about. So do a rollback and stick with manual updating if you're having problems with a specific patch. If the problems really are affecting all Surface Pro 2s where there are severe battery and sleep-of-death issues after a given update, you'd better believe the journalists would be all over it since they don't like the Surface very much. So far the only bit I've seen is the false error.

Regardless, all users who are experiencing specific issues with any given update need to voice their concerns on the official MS boards and/or contact MS directly to get more data points into their service database.

reach

Well, Microsoft also makes the Surface 2. There don't seem to be user reports pointing to problems on that platform.

Uh, hours? Even days? This isn't an MMO where you might expect the devs to hotfix a PvP exploit, you know. This is firmware we're talking about. So do a rollback and stick with manual updating if you're having problems with a specific patch. If the problems really are affecting all Surface Pro 2s where there are severe battery and sleep-of-death issues after a given update, you'd better believe the journalists would be all over it since they don't like the Surface very much. So far the only bit I've seen is the false error.

Regardless, all users who are experiencing specific issues with any given update need to voice their concerns on the official MS boards and/or contact MS directly to get more data points into their service database.

Are people here reporting their's is fine? Haven't seen one.
Does anybody have a reliable rollback howto? Haven't seen one.
Come on, the device is per-definition broken! You sometimes can't charge it, sometimes can't switch it on. I can't see any more critical issue than this one. A massive exploit? That doesn't break anything. But this one makes the device almost unusable, unless you know the workarounds and use them.
So yes, I'd expect rather hours than days. But obviously not a full month.

girarcat

I'm fed up with my Surface. The main issues I'm suffering are wrong battery indications and many times when I put it to sleep, when I press some button for waking it up, the screen remains black, the fans start working for 3-4 seconds and then it shutdowns.

Aside from these problems, I'm also experiencing some random smaller issues which are getting on my nerves. They are usually solved with a reboot, but I had never needed to reboot a computer 3 times a day to solve stupid issues (auto-brightness not working, trackpad not working, OneNote giving an error when trying to open it, having a PenDrive detected, etc.). As I said, these are smaller issues which are solved quite easily, but I don't think that's normal.

How can I downgrade the firmware? I downloaded the drivers package Reach posted, but I don't know what to do with it, there are lots of files and folders. I don't know how to delete the older drivers either. Any hint?

thanks!

Last edited:

bluegrass

Are people here reporting their's is fine? Haven't seen one.
Does anybody have a reliable rollback howto? Haven't seen one.
Come on, the device is per-definition broken! You sometimes can't charge it, sometimes can't switch it on. I can't see any more critical issue than this one. A massive exploit? That doesn't break anything. But this one makes the device almost unusable, unless you know the workarounds and use them.
So yes, I'd expect rather hours than days. But obviously not a full month.

I guess I'm one of the luckier ones. Mine shows it tried and failed to install on 12-10 & 12-12 and doesn't seem to have tried to install since 12-12. If you Google Surface news, you will see the big tado about the 12-10 firmware problem and that Microsoft has pulled it from available updates as they work to correct it. I'm surprised that Microsoft doesn't test it on about a 100 Surfaces in their software labs before they push new software or firmware updates out.

Dayton

My SP2 updated the firmware on 12/10. I once had to remove the Type Cover from Devices as random keys wouldn't register. Other than that the battery life has gone from stellar to just okay but I haven't had the discharge during sleep. I am thinking of reverting to the Wi-Fi driver in the October package but I'm not sure I really need to mess with it too much before MS comes out with a new firmware. I do wish I had that awesome battery performance back however.

For people having severe issues wouldn't it just be a matter of rolling back Firmware in the Device Manager and then installing drivers from the October package?, again through the Device Manager.

From what was updated:

Improved system stability, including when minimizing full screen games.
Updated Wi-Fi driver for improved wireless display and connectivity with wireless access points.
Improved Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality.
Color fidelity improvements for all applications.
Optimized two-finger trackpad use.
Enhanced audio experience when connected to a Display Port 1.2 device

Besides Wi-Fi I would look at the Cover drivers, especially the drivers for the Touch Cover, not much looks to have been added for the Type.

Last edited: