What's new

Solved Downloading Restore Image from Microsoft

KloppKopp

Hi Everyone,

I just got my S3-LTE a couple of days ago. Everything worked fine, until I thoght I was beeing smart by making a backup of my System. I am using Acronis True Iamage 2015 but something went wrong when I tried the restore and completely screwed up the System.

... so now all it does is boot Loop ...

No Probs I thought and wanted to download a recovery Image from Microsoft to restore to factory Defaults.
But with my Serial number, I do not get a recovery Image loaded, just a blank page. When I called MS Support, they plugged in a dummy Serial number and I was able to download a recovery image....which does not work! The S3 will not boot from the USB.

Funny enough the recovery Image is called S3-Pro. So I wonder ..

- does anyone know if the recovery Images are the same for the S3-LTE and the S3 Pro ?
- did anyone manage to download a recovery Image for a S3-LTE ?

any help appreciated. I am completely stuck and really need the S3 for my studies.

Many thanks in advance

malberttoo

Hi Everyone,

I just got my S3-LTE a couple of days ago. Everything worked fine, until I thoght I was beeing smart by making a backup of my System. I am using Acronis True Iamage 2015 but something went wrong when I tried the restore and completely screwed up the System.

... so now all it does is boot Loop ...

No Probs I thought and wanted to download a recovery Image from Microsoft to restore to factory Defaults.
But with my Serial number, I do not get a recovery Image loaded, just a blank page. When I called MS Support, they plugged in a dummy Serial number and I was able to download a recovery image....which does not work! The S3 will not boot from the USB.

Funny enough the recovery Image is called S3-Pro. So I wonder ..

- does anyone know if the recovery Images are the same for the S3-LTE and the S3 Pro ?
- did anyone manage to download a recovery Image for a S3-LTE ?

any help appreciated. I am completely stuck and really need the S3 for my studies.

Many thanks in advance

The download page has been broken for at least 2 months now, I myself experienced it also. I have no idea why Microsoft can't take it upon themselves to fix it, especially when it's linked to in their own support documentation.

For now, I'm afraid your only option is to call the support people back, and hopefully not get someone as inept as last time.

OP
K

KloppKopp

Yes, I understand that MS is unable to fix this. Over the last 24h I had three People on the help line trying to help me. Never had anyone on the phone more incompetent than these three guys.

But there are people who actually did manage to download an image in the past. Why cant we share ? The Image will do no one any good who did not by a S3. So why the protectiveness ???

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use Macrium Reflect for images, works perfectly without having to disable or modify any settings. Secure Boot, bitlocker, all supported. We reached Peak Acronis several years ago and it's been going downhill for quite a while.

leeshor

I once had around 40 customers on Acronis, now only 2, the rest, due to system upgrades, are on Macrium Reflect. It does everything Acronis does and more for less money and unlike Acronis there is a free "for home use" version of Macrium.

As an example, Acroinis for Windows Server starts at $999, Macrium is $250. The Macrium product includes the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware without purchasing additional software.

OP
K

KloppKopp

Thanks for your replies.

I finally managed to get my s3 working again by installing a clean WIN10 from a USB stick. What you need is a USB hub for connecting the stick and a keyboard at the same time and then its no prob at all. The S3 specific drivers can all be downloaded from MS as well.

I just miss out on the extra SW that MS puts on the S3 but I think I can live with that.

Next thing is to throw out Acronis on all my PCs and get Macrium Reflect. Thanks for the suggestion.

The S3