What's new

DPC_Watchdog_violation error

chanukya

Hi folks, I have a i5 256GB Surface 3 that I purchased last Nov. In the last week I have seen 2 blue screens with the DPC_watchdog_violation error message. Looking online this appears related to the SSD? Has anyone else experienced this? Do I just have to reset Windows or go to the Store for a SSD repair? Or are there some latest drivers I need to install?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh man you've violated your dog that's not good... However, we may need some more details about this violation.
=====
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.

Parameter 1, Parameter 2, Parameter 3, Parameter 4, Cause of Error
0, The DPC time count (in ticks), The DPC time allotment (in ticks), Reserved, A single DPC or ISR exceeded its time allotment. The offending component can usually be identified with a stack trace.

1, The watchdog period, Reserved, Reserved, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at IRQL DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The offending component can usually be identified with a stack trace.

This bug check indicates that the DPC watchdog executed, either because it detected a single long-running deferred procedure call (DPC), or because the system spent a prolonged time at an interrupt request level (IRQL) of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The value of Parameter 1 indicates whether a single DPC exceeded a timeout, or whether the system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at IRQL DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
====

After rebooting there should be a couple of entries in the System Event log which may identify the offending component which is not necessarily the ssd unless your have already retrieved this information and it was specifically called out. If you can post the text from those entries we might see what caused it.

OP
C

chanukya

Thank you for the reply. So far it has not happened again touch wood.. Will monitor the message next time this happens and post details right after. Where do I find the event log? I do not see it when I type in 'log' in the search..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for the reply. So far it has not happened again touch wood.. Will monitor the message next time this happens and post details right after. Where do I find the event log? I do not see it when I type in 'log' in the search..
Use Event Viewer to view the log. Coincidentally there was a patch this week dealing with watchdog errors so maybe you hit one of the issues it addresses.